Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Re: Final Fantasy Megathread
Old 07-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #166
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: Final Fantasy Megathread

Quote:
Officially broke the game. Never had an issue.
I think breaking the game would be the issue.

Like playing Fallout 3, you can change the difficulty right before lockpicking/hacking to get more XP making it much faster/easier to level up, effectively breaking the game - but that's just no fun for the normal gaming populace. Most people like challenges.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #167
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
I think breaking the game would be the issue.

Like playing Fallout 3, you can change the difficulty right before lockpicking/hacking to get more XP making it much faster/easier to level up, effectively breaking the game - but that's just no fun for the normal gaming populace. Most people like challenges.
I didn't really do anything to break the game I just ran a sweet strategy.

But no you're right, paradigm shifting is breaking the game. You shouldn't even be allowed to do it.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #168
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

Now Playing: Borderlands 2, DKCR3D, TLoU: Remastered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlyMoogle View Post
I didn't really do anything to break the game I just ran a sweet strategy.

But no you're right, paradigm shifting is breaking the game. You shouldn't even be allowed to do it.
Not like they cared since it's obviously back for XIII-2.

Speaking of, who's interested in it? I actually am if I'm honest.

3DS Friend Code: 1590-4790-6369

Old 07-14-2011, 02:00 AM   #169
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

Well, I just finished it. It took me five tries to get past the first form of the final boss. That stupid one shot death move got me so mad, especially when I found out that when he conjures darkness you're supposed to ignore buffing and debuffing so you can stagger it again.

Then of course the final form had to be a joke. It was pitifully easy.

My final (get it?) thoughts (WOT sorry):

It's not the best, but it's not the worst. It tried to be different and it succeeded but I don't know if the changes were all entirely in the right direction. For example, part of the difficulty (and fun) in my case is resource management; making sure I'm well prepared to go through a dungeon but the whole automatic regeneration of health and no true game over (because really, any game that lets you get back up right before you bit the bullet for just ONE more try really isn't a Game Over) it takes away from that. Obviously this had to have been thought out from the beginning, because you can tell the enemies and the damage and things they do were designed around these aspects of the game.

I think that's probably what makes that decision such a frustrating one for me. It's a love/hate thing, though. I usually only complain about the battle system when I'm not playing it, because it is fun for the most part, even if like everyone knows, it's designed to be automated since it is still turn based and trying to pick out all the abilities is definitely not ideal, at least at normal battle speed.

I dunno, maybe my mixed feelings now are because the all too happy ending with all of the optimistic conversations and comments that they were spewing for the last five hours (at least) of my gameplay started getting a little too hard to swallow, and then there were the sudden random and unexplained reappearances of all the characters after they were turned into Cie'th and Fang failing as Ragnarok again or whatnot. I know JRPGs do things like that, but I wish that they could have tried to explain it at least a little bit.

Also it's not fair that Serah had to stay as a crystal for the entire duration of the game and then everyone else turns to crystal right after for "completing their Focus" and they go back to normal immediately afterwards I'm assuming thanks to Fang and Vanille.

Hoofah. That was a lot. Long story short, if it seems like I'm complaining...sure I might be, but my enjoyment of the game was pretty high despite that. I mean, I went through hell and high water again to get the game done after losing 35 hours of my life that I'll never get back again, only to spend another 30 or so to see it through. I will definitely say my dedication to this game comes from my initial idea of just plowing through as much as I could day by day since the first time I tried to play it I mucked around with it for an hour, saved the game, and put it back on the shelf only to sit there for another long while until now.

I will definitely be hard pressed to get everyone maxed out in the Crystarium though. That's total gamer meth stuff and I'm not buying. Good luck to those of you that do it, you have patience greater than I can fathom.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:01 AM   #170
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Quote:
Originally Posted by magus113 View Post
I will definitely be hard pressed to get everyone maxed out in the Crystarium though. That's total gamer meth stuff and I'm not buying. Good luck to those of you that do it, you have patience greater than I can fathom.
It's honestly not worth it. Doesn't really add anything to the story, and the characters really weren't designed to play outside their initial roles.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #171
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlyMoogle View Post
It's honestly not worth it. Doesn't really add anything to the story, and the characters really weren't designed to play outside their initial roles.
That's what I figured. That's something you allow people to do before you fight the final boss that makes everyone want to be like HNNNNNNG SUPEROVERPOWERED and all I had to do was weapon customizing and max out everyone on their main roles in the Stage 9 Crystarium. It's like, move along people

Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #172
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

I'm probably not going to get to play until this weekend, but when I do I hope to finish it.

I'm trying to decide if I want to try and upgrade people's equipment and max out their weapons after I beat the game, or just move on to another game.

I'm thinking I probably won't. If I've already beaten the game, what's the point?

Old 07-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #173
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
I'm probably not going to get to play until this weekend, but when I do I hope to finish it.

I'm trying to decide if I want to try and upgrade people's equipment and max out their weapons after I beat the game, or just move on to another game.

I'm thinking I probably won't. If I've already beaten the game, what's the point?
I maxed out Hope and Fang's weapons that I were using to star level of their second form since you need that ridiculously expensive ore crap to make it move up and I just did not have enough money to do that. I got Lightning's shit up as well. It brought Fang's strength up to like 1960-something, same with Hope's magic stat too. It was ridiculous. I would imagine it helped me finish the last three boss fights wonderfully. I got five stars on Barthandelus and Orphan's first and second forms.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #174
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

Finally beat it. So glad that is over.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #175
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
Finally beat it. So glad that is over.
What were your final thoughts?

Also, that's what she said

Old 07-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #176
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by magus113 View Post
What were your final thoughts?

Also, that's what she said
I thought it was okay as viewed as a game separate of the Final Fantasy series. If viewed from the spectrum of FF, it was terrible.

Also, as you said, the final boss battle was a complete joke; and latter half of the story was ridiculous.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:24 AM   #177
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

So after getting some more time to spend on Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, I find a lot of similarities in some of the plot stuff.

Have any of you guys had a chance to play the game on WiiWare or in the PSP re-release? I think I might be the only person here that's even attempted to play through them.

Also, getting into the matter of side stories and the like for Final Fantasy games, I noticed that there seems to be quite a lot, even more than we know now, what with the direct sequels and all.

If I'm thinking correctly the games that have addition plot material for them, whether it be other games or different types of media in general, are IV, V, VII, X, XII, and now XIII.

IV has The After Years and now the Interlude chapter they added for the Complete Collection PSP remake (which wasn't anything more than a three hour tacked on distraction to the After Years story. It only added an extra appearance of the Mysterious Girl character from The After Years as well as letting you see the birth of Yang's daughter Ursula, as well as Ceodore, Cecil and Rosa's son.

V has the Legend of the Crystals anime OVA that was released many years ago. It was apparently not only released in Japanese but also English as well, although I've never seen it in English and it's funny because never came out here until Anthology was released back in 2000 I believe the year was.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4PH0YTG5 (Episode 1 - 251 MB)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EE5RDY00 (Episode 2 - 241 MB)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PLR1FVQ2 (Episode 3 - 246 MB)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=25KHZGWL (Episode 4 - 228 MB)

Those are some download links to all of the episodes in case you're interested. The password for the .rar files is luelinks.

VII had all of the Compilation stuff. Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children, Last Order, Before Crisis, Crisis Core...there might be even more that I'm missing, which is a scary thought. Even with all this extra plot stuff that almost all borders on fan fiction and people still want the game to be remade, which I guarantee fans are going to hate.

X has X-2. We don't talk about such things, although I've heard once the battle system is mastered fighting is actually fun, but from what I've read there isn't very much real fighting to be done, and any game that requires 100% completion for an ending I can just look up on YouTube is fine by me, I mean we all know that technically her getting over him in the end and them not being together is the better ending anyway. They were separated at the end of X, and I guess they figured they shouldn't mess with a good thing by making that the ending for X-2 as well unless you know, you want to kill yourself by getting 100% completion in that nightmare.

XII is a little complicated because technically since the game is set in Ivalice, there's a lot of games than can get thrown into the FFXII universe, like Vagrant Story, and all of the Final Fantasy Tactics games, but I think for continuity's sake I'll just stick to Revenant Wings for the DS, which was an RTS game that they made more difficult for the US because we're "used to this type of genre"? I don't know. I haven't played it, I've heard it's okay.

XIII-2 looks like more of the same but you can tell that they're totally appealing to otaku fanboys because they're exploiting Serra's momo appeal. I mean, she looks so young. The fact that Snow looked much older than she did was something that I never really understood or thought was okay for the most part.

Anyways, your thoughts? I know I put down a lot of stuff to comment on, but bear with me. It was an idea I came up with while playing FFIV: TAY.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #178
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

Just started watching the Legend of the Crystals OVA. It's pretty cheesy, but it's old enough that I think I'll allow it. The sub group did a pretty decent job though, considering it's age. I wish I could find a clip of the dub so I could hear how horrible of a job they did with it.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #179
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

Have you guys watched the XIII-2 footage from E3? It looks interesting ... not really sure if I like Serah playing a central role in the game though.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #180
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
Have you guys watched the XIII-2 footage from E3? It looks interesting ... not really sure if I like Serah playing a central role in the game though.
There was a part in the trailer where I saw Lightning riding Odin and she was running across while some huge boss was tearing shit up. It looked pretty intense. I dunno how I feel about the new character whose name I can't remember either.