Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: Whatcha Watching? The TV Thread
Old 02-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #16
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Re: Whatcha Watching? The TV Thread

Anyone watching Outsourced or Shit My Dad Says? I can't decide if I give a shit enough to invest in these shows.

Modern Family - Still watching, still good. This is my empty calorie TV show. It isn't nutritious and I know it's bad for me, but it tastes alright and goes down easy.

Archer - This show is the business. Season 2 is really peaking and the show is building an Arrested Development type feel as they are working in a lot of the "inside jokes." Best animated show on TV right now?

Bob's Burgers - I'm watching this because of H. Jon Benjamin who does the voice of Archer. Once you get over the voice/character difference, the show becomes easier to watch. And on that note, so far the show is quirky and pretty darn good. The show actually has some pretty fun jokes, including a child molestation gag.

Chuck - After resolving Season 4's main conflict the show is back in a place I have not seen since Season 3: a balanced comedy/fun show. I hope they continue with this formula and avoid having an elaborate overarching plot that consumes the show. It was more fun when they worked Fulcrum or The Ring into the formula of the show instead of the other way around. But then, on that note, since the show has seemed to have maxed out the formula, perhaps tying up loose ends and ending on a sweet note is the way to go.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Mr. Sunshine: Debuted after Modern Family last week and I thought it was very good. There hasn't been a good workplace comedy for a long time, and this could fit the bill. Besides, any comedy that is brave enought to have this joke is OK in my book:

`So, what did you think about my speech?'

`I liked it, but I'm not sure I would open with "Yay, black kids".'

Old 03-24-2011, 04:10 AM   #18
KillerGremlin
No Pants

I knocked out Season 1 of Justified. It was good shit. A little bit leaning towards cliched writing, but the dynamics in the characters sold me. What I like about the show is that it echoes comic books. Timothy Olyphant's character has some superhero qualities to him, and he is tragically flawed. Walton Goggins plays Boyd Crowder....and oh my lord, is he the yang to Timothy Olphant's ying. Seriously, his character reminds me of a religious and whacked out Joker or some other chaotic criminal hellbent on chaos. I can only imagine what fun is in store for Season 2 (which is currently airing).

Also, Archer continues to exceed expectations.

I swear, if I had to pick one channel for my deserted island, I would pick FX.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #19
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

I've just gotten through most of the first season of Community. I thought I wouldn't like it, but the writing can be pretty clever. I'll try to keep up with it.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #20
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Shocking episode of Castle today (yesterday).
Edit: I meant last week. Apparently I've been a week behind..

Last edited by Angrist : 05-24-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #21
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

I'm still really enjoying Castle. The acting is just so good. Some episodes start to feel a bit 'been there done that', but they keep coming up with enough new stuff. Like this week's episode, it was thrilling.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #22
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

I'm watching Terra Nova. I actually like that show. The style of it has changed a lot since the first episode. To me it's a pretty decent sci-fi-ish show. I advise giving it a shot, even though you wouldn't know what's going on.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #23
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

I gave up on Terra Nova after 4 or 5 episodes. I wanted to like the show, but I just couldn't bear any more. I hated it, I felt like I was wasting my time on a terribly executed SF show. It reminded me of Space Above And Beyond.

Did the quality dramatically improve in the last 2 episodes, or is it still more of the boring stuff? (I can't believe they made a dinosaur show with hardly any dinosaurs in it... I'm not interested in crazy deseases, migrating birds or traitor children. Your series takes place in the triassic, so I want dinosaurs!!)

Old 11-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #24
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Misfits. Superheroes on tv done right. This season answers those deep questions of "What would happen if I had the power to turn into a girl?" and "What's the worse way to mess up killing Hitler?"

Ugly Americans. Love this show. Just recently finished watching it.

Venture Bros. Finally starting watching this. Gah, sooo good. Why did it take me this long?

Bored to Death. Ted Danson is amazing.

Once Upon A Time. S'ok. Not sure if will continue watching. The Lost-like flashbacks do get a bit annoying.

Life's Too Short. Ricky Gervais's new show staring Warwick Davis. Not bad. Feels like Extras, especially with the famous actor of the week (Liam Neeson and Johnny Depp so far).

Walking Dead. Yup.

And then the usually slew of sitcoms: Community, HIMYM, (dropped the Office after the first couple eps this season) 30 Rock (soon) and cartoons: Young Justice, Ben 10, The Amazing World of Gumball, Thundercats.

Special mention for show not currently airing: Louie. Go watch it.

Oh yeah. Been watching The Wire. Three seasons in. Holding off on watching anymore since I consume the eps like popcorn. Lost entire days.

Last edited by Teuthida : 11-22-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #25
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
Did the quality dramatically improve in the last 2 episodes, or is it still more of the boring stuff? (I can't believe they made a dinosaur show with hardly any dinosaurs in it... I'm not interested in crazy deseases, migrating birds or traitor children. Your series takes place in the triassic, so I want dinosaurs!!)
Thats the thing, it's not a show about dinosaurs. It's a show about the relocation of a colony into the past because the future sucks so much. Sort of like how Walking Dead isn't really a zombie show, but it has zombies in it.

The last 2 episodes established the basis of the show, I assume. There is a separate 'pilgrimage' (Group of people who went back in time to populate the colony)that for some unexplained reason is segregated from the colony of Terra Nova. The segregated group has a way to communicate with the future, and bring people into the past, the leader of Terra Nova wants to find out why. The last episode was actually really well-written at getting the history of Terra Nova established. They used the guise of a children's Thanksgiving-Style play and told the story.

But hey, if you don't like it you don't like it.

late edit:

Quote:
Misfits. Superheroes on tv done right. This season answers those deep questions of "What would happen if I had the power to turn into a girl?" and "What's the worse way to mess up killing Hitler?"

I watched the first season of that show last year, maybe more - but nothing beyond that. Is season 2 (maybe 3, 4? Im not sure how old the show is) better than season 1?

I was down with the concept of the show, but the first season seemed sort of slow at times. It lost me.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #26
KillerGremlin
No Pants

CHUCK

Chuck will go down as one of the cruelest examples of shafted TV shows. The show has been on the verge of cancellation since Season 2.

Season 1 and 2 were stellar. I thought Season 3 was stellar. Season 4 was really inconsistent and almost unwatchable at times. But I stuck through it. I think I'm the last Chuck fan on these boards.

Season 5 got the green light. A final 13 episodes for Chuck to do its thing and say goodbye. So far, this season has been up there with Season 1 or Season 3. I don't think you can touch the greatness that is Season 2.

The writers on Chuck have proven time and time again that they can write a good show when there is some certainty. Season 4 was a mess and I blame the show's uncertain future.

It makes you wonder where they could have taken this show if the writer's had a clearer path to work with. Maybe not very far. Season 5 has introduced a much needed gimmick to Chuck. The team going solo. Had they done that at the end of Season 3....I think the show might have worked better.

Anyway, I can't quit you Chuck. I'm just too big of a spy geek, and Yvonne Strahovski....soooo hot.

Oh...what am I watching? Walking Dead, It's Always Sunny, bunch of Food Network shows, Modern Family, Dexter, Chuck. Will pick up some more come the new year....Bob's Burgers, Justified, Archer....I need to get back into South Park, I'm out of the loop.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #27
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post

late edit:

I watched the first season of that show last year, maybe more - but nothing beyond that. Is season 2 (maybe 3, 4? Im not sure how old the show is) better than season 1?

I was down with the concept of the show, but the first season seemed sort of slow at times. It lost me.
My friends watching season 1 while I was playing Marvel vs. Capcom 3 downstairs on the other TV, and so I casually listened/watched it. Then they started Season 2 the next day and I actually stopped to watch the second season because it was much better. It's over the top and silly most of the time, but it's awesome. I fully suggest you watch it. I've yet to watch season 3, but was going to wait until the season finishes before I start.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #28
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post

Currently on season 3. I would say season 2 is the best. The first season is mostly setup and explaining the characters and powers. In season two they meld and grow a lot and there's more action. Season 3 gets rid of Nathan (the funny poofy headed guy) so the dynamic is different plus they all have different powers. Suppose to be zombies soon though.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #29
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Just finished watching The Wire. My, that was good.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #30
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

My wife and I have been watching Sherlock.

It's really great. Each episode is about 1.5 hours long - there are 3 episodes in season 1.

First season is streamable on Netflix.