Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

FInal Fantasy XI
Old 08-06-2003, 12:05 PM   #1
GiMpY-wAnNaBe
Cheese Master

Now Playing: FF7, again
Default FInal Fantasy XI

Quote:
August 01, 2003 - Like the recent Star Wars and upcoming Warcraft-based online RPGs, the wildly popular Final Fantasy series is finally getting an online treatment courtesy of Final Fantasy XI. The game's already been covered extensively in earlier previews but it's been awhile since we visited that realm, so we've decided to provide a bit of context for you to celebrate the weekend. If you have indeed just crawled from under your rock, Final Fantasy XI's online presence is big news. Not only is it the first massively multiplayer online game in the series' history, it also happens to be the first persistent world game to function across two platforms, in this case the PC and PS2.

Remember the days when everything used to be okay? The Sentient Jewel who banished the darkness of the void and gave birth to the first gods seemed to have everything all figured out. Things went great for a long time but, as you might expect from a Final Fantasy game, things don't always stay great. Eventually the first gods slipped into a peaceful slumber and the shadows began to rally. Now in the 863rd year of the Jewel, the Shadow Lord and his army of beastmen have launched an assault on the world of Vana'diel.

In opposition to the Shadow Lord stand three nations -- the Republic of Bastok, the Kingdom of San d'Oria and the Federation of Windurst. These three nations are now competing with the approaching beastmen (and, if they have any sense, with each other) to gain control of the various lands of Vana'diel. Each player adopts a role within one of the three nations and earns rank and prestige according to their exploits.

The Republic of Bastok is home to mighty industries and surrounded by a harsh and rocky wasteland. The adaptive Humes and robust Galka make their homes here. The magically adorable little big heads known as the Tarutaru live with the cat-like Mithra in the woods of the Federation of Windurst. The forceful and noble Elvaan make their home alone in an imposing castle high in the wooded mountains.

The basic jobs from Final Fantasy V are reproduced here. (There are other jobs to be discovered as you play the game, but only five are available to starting players.) Warriors, as any fan of roleplaying games ought to know, serve as your physical forces in battle either taking the fight directly to the heart of your foes or merely shielding their own party from attacks by the enemy. Monks also fill a primarily physical combat role, choosing to use their own bodies as their weapons.

Two magic schools are represented by three different jobs. White mages are the healers and protectors of the party, Black mages are the firepower masters, and Red mages fall somewhere in between -- not too bad at some things, not too great at anything. Finally, the Thief is, well, I suppose I don't have to explain everything to you. You can switch between jobs under certain circumstances and you'll eventually also be able to choose a second job to supplement your first.

Those of you who are familiar with most MMOs should recognize the general pattern in Final Fantasy XI. You begin as a bit of a novice in a world of ever increasing conflict. A variety of errand-based or extermination missions advance you through the game's varied story arcs and success brings you wealth, status and power. As you rise in ability, you're given the option to expand your range and explore even more of the world. And you're doing this in real time with other players in a brand new Final Fantasy universe. For fans of the series, that's definitely enough. But there's more to this than just matching the content with the format.

The larger game here is driven by Conquests. But to understand that, you have to understand Signets. And to understand Signets? That's right, you have to understand locations. Okay, locations are, well, just that -- locations. The world is divided up into numerous locations, and the locations are subdivided into areas. These locations and areas are filled with monsters and (presumably) other players. You're free to wander through these areas at your leisure -- assuming you're not being chased -- and whomp up on pretty much any monster you think you can take. I promise not to use the word location again in this preview.

But if you're just doing that, you're not living up to your potential. What you need is a Signet and you can probably have one cast on you somewhere in your starting town. This Signet functions a bit like a letter of marques did during the European wars of colony and exploration. It basically authorizes you to attack the enemy for the good of the state. In Final Fantasy XI terms, this means that you can begin to exert control over the locations you fight in.

Now you can start to understand Conquests. The lands of Vana'diel can change hands a number of times, going from one player group to another, or, once enough player characters have been killed, even passing completely into the hands of the beastmen. If that happens, hopefully the players from the three other nations can set aside their differences until one of them is back on top. Nations gain control by having the highest amount of experience earned among players under their Signet. Once one player nation gains half the territories on the map, the other two player nations are automatically forced in to an alliance against them.

You want to gain control of these regions to improve the overall well being of your people. Your country will get more goods and resources and will even be able to use the newly controlled zone to launch attacks into neighboring zones. To protect against invasion, outposts will be spread along the borders to protect regions controlled by your nation. Sentries will stand watch here and can even place Signets on uncommitted characters. Your regions will also contain your merchants.

So that all sounds well and good, right? Right. Except that selfless acts like that isn't really my style. I'm in to the good of the community, sure, but I want mine too, right? Right. Fortunately the game rewards what might otherwise be considered an act of true altruism, by offering up some choice loot -- in crystal form no less. You get these crystals for winning battles in areas not controlled by the beastmen and you can trade them in with town guards and border sentries for all kinds of necessary items. (You'll also be able to buy items outright from the other vendors and merchants in your regions. Look for unique items from conquered regions to be sold in your capital city.)

Players who focus on the Conquest game won't be missing out on perks like rank either. While other players are running missions and quests, Conquest players of rank 2 and higher can trade in crystals for rank promotion. Higher ranks mean better access to items in shops. Higher ranks mean more missions from mission vendors. Higher ranks mean you can lord it over your punk friends who posted that video of you on the Internet.

Though I myself am not a fan of the peaceful life, apparently Final Fantasy XI offers something to do besides kill things: energy-filled crystals can be synthesized in to any number of items; ore can be mined from the earth to fashion exquisite jewelry; fish can be harvested from the lakes and rivers; culinary skill can be exercised in the creation of tasty dishes. Since none of that has anything to do with stabbing a giant bee, let's move on.

Individual combats are of the click and watch variety (that'd be push and watch on the PS2) but you do have the option to throw in special moves from time to time. All combat builds up your tactical points. Once your points pass a certain level, new moves based on your weapon type become available. These abilities, such as double-strike, can, if timed right, be combined with the special abilities or spells of other characters in powerful combo attacks called skillchains and magic bursts

Should you find you've bit off more than you can chew, you can always use the disengage command to pull out of combat. Technically, this just won't work on a monster that's faster than you but in that case you can at least cry for help and hope someone comes along to save your sorry butt. Failing that, you'll probably die. Once dead you can either wait to have a friend (or a really, really magnanimous enemy) resurrect you or you can just reappear next to your last home crystal, and with a hefty experience penalty to boot!

And so there you have it; a little bit of FFXI info to whet your whistle with. Though we have yet to play the fabled beta disc that's in circulation by lucky testers all over the world, we can only hope to get our hands on it sometime soon. Sporting five races and three different nations, there's definitely a lot to be uncovered. We hope to bring you more on Final Fantasy XI over the coming months.

--IGN

this game is lookin good, hey darkmaster, do you have the beta disc for this awsome game yet??

Old 08-06-2003, 12:29 PM   #2
Crono
Godlike

Now Playing:

That's all old information.

Right now FFXI is my most wanted game on PS2, followed by Star Ocean 3. It's going to be awesome..

Re: FInal Fantasy XI
Old 08-06-2003, 12:58 PM   #3
DarkMaster
I am not a smart person

Now Playing: Life
Default Re: FInal Fantasy XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiMpY-wAnNaBe
this game is lookin good, hey darkmaster, do you have the beta disc for this awsome game yet??
No I dont, and I wont be getting it

Old 08-06-2003, 01:06 PM   #4
Null
The Nullified One

Now Playing: Counter-Strike: Source

hmmmmm.... comes out a couple months earlier on PC

ack! *runs from PS2 fans*

anywho, waiting all the offical pricing and all that to determine what i'd do. i doubt i'll be paying monthly for it. I THINK it needs the HD for ps2? does it not?

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Old 08-06-2003, 01:11 PM   #5
DarkMaster
I am not a smart person

Now Playing: Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null
hmmmmm.... comes out a couple months earlier on PC

ack! *runs from PS2 fans*

anywho, waiting all the offical pricing and all that to determine what i'd do. i doubt i'll be paying monthly for it. I THINK it needs the HD for ps2? does it not?
Where did you hear that? As far as I knew, it's coming to PS2 first. But mayhaps I'm wrong.

And it does need the HD for ps2. Luckily the game comes with the HD (or it might be the other way around) and I'm pretty sure the pricing they gave for that bundle was about $60.

Online fees are what I'm currently waiting to hear about. I doubt VERY much that there will be no fees, especially with such a massive game. We shall have to wait and see, its being published by SCEA in North America, so it'll be interesting to see what they charge for online fees.

Old 08-06-2003, 01:35 PM   #6
Null
The Nullified One

been said in magazines for the past few months.

just the latest Computer Gameing World mentions again; it'll be a couple months ahead of the PS2 version. i'd find you a link but im at work, i'll look when i get home.

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Old 08-06-2003, 04:33 PM   #7
Crono
Godlike

Now Playing:

Fees or not, I'm getting the game. From what I've read and seen, this game will be worth every penny. This game is going to be so massive and deep, there's nothing like it. If the game and HD is 60 US, that's going to be an awesome deal. Then all you need is the NA and keyboard. Or just save money and get the PC version, either way, but I'd prefer console.

I already see myself putting in over 1000 hours into this game, heh...

Old 08-06-2003, 04:49 PM   #8
CrOnO_LiNk
Knight

Now Playing: Halo 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono
Fees or not, I'm getting the game. From what I've read and seen, this game will be worth every penny. This game is going to be so massive and deep, there's nothing like it. If the game and HD is 60 US, that's going to be an awesome deal. Then all you need is the NA and keyboard. Or just save money and get the PC version, either way, but I'd prefer console.

Yeah. MMORPG's are the most addicitng games ever. Honestly, I can see people still playing this game 5 years later... Wow...

And guys, brand new trailer over at IGN. (10 MB)
http://ps2.ign.com/

Old 08-06-2003, 05:14 PM   #9
Null
The Nullified One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono

depends on what you have already. if you already have the pc to handle it. PC version much cheaper. cuz of what all you need with PS2 version. but if you dont. cheaper to buy stuff and get PS2 version.

IF i get it, (and only way i get it is if its free or i find a private server to play for free) it will be for the PC,

plus i get to use my PS2 controller on my PC, so it would be like the PS2 with a sharper graphics.

god i love my ps2 controller. hehe

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Old 08-06-2003, 09:27 PM   #10
ominub
Knight

Now Playing: FFXI

im going to get it on my pc
but before i recomend anyone else getting the game you should download the benchmark here and i would only recommend getting the game if you score over a 3000 on the benchmark

FFXI: Ominub, Galka 75DRK
Nation: Bastok Rank 10

Old 08-06-2003, 09:47 PM   #11
Null
The Nullified One

ahhhhhh. ok, it was going on 6000, and i just couldnt take anymore of the music combined with thoes little guys. so i just quit it.

maybe i'll let it run by itself when im not around sometime to actually see how high it would go.

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Old 08-07-2003, 03:47 AM   #12
TheGame
The Greatest One

Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions

I would rather get it for PC, but my PC is so out-dated that there is no chance.

I think this will be one of the games that I log more than 200 hours on... and I can forsee as many as 500 hours.

The good side about getting the Ps2 version is knowing more GT members online

Old 08-07-2003, 05:46 AM   #13
ominub
Knight

Now Playing: FFXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame
I would rather get it for PC, but my PC is so out-dated that there is no chance.

I think this will be one of the games that I log more than 200 hours on... and I can forsee as many as 500 hours.

The good side about getting the Ps2 version is knowing more GT members online
the pc and ps2 our going to be on the same servers so that means that you can play with ps2 people if you are playing it on your pc and vise versa thats a great thing about FFXI

FFXI: Ominub, Galka 75DRK
Nation: Bastok Rank 10

Old 08-07-2003, 09:10 AM   #14
Null
The Nullified One

yes first game that i know of to go cross platform online. will be interesting to see.

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Re: Re: FInal Fantasy XI
Old 08-20-2003, 01:22 AM   #15
TheGame
The Greatest One

Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions
Default Re: Re: FInal Fantasy XI

Hopfully there is a seperate Ps2 exclusive server... or I hope Null will be my buddy on a PC/Ps2 server

I don't want to be too behind the PC guys...

If a game is going to be released cross-platform like this, they should have the same release date

-EDIt-

forgot the reason I posted: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml

I dunno if you havbe seen that yet or not.