Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Does anyone else actually like Zelda:WW *better* than OoT?
Old 03-27-2003, 12:02 PM   #1
Highlander_77
Baron

Now Playing:
Default Does anyone else actually like Zelda:WW *better* than OoT?

I can't be the only one...granted, I'm not all that far in WW yet, but I already like it better...

Disturbed - Down With the Sickness

Old 03-27-2003, 12:08 PM   #2
Mushlafa
Knight

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : The Windwaker

I think OoT was a better game in terms of like innovation n whatever.. if OoT had modern graphics I think it would be the better game.. but thats just my opinion

Old 03-27-2003, 12:21 PM   #3
Highlander_77
Baron

Now Playing:

Maybe it's just me, but I was never crazy about OoT's lack of a large "overworld"...I just never felt like I was ever really [b]exploring[/b[ very much...WW has that feeling of exploration that I never really got from OoT...

Old 03-27-2003, 12:30 PM   #4
TheGame
The Greatest One

Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions

For it's time... OoT had a huge overworld for an Action/Adventure game.

Personally, to this point (at third temple) I think WW is a better game head to head. But that's because GCN is simply capible of more than N64. In terms of gameplay, it was just taken out of OoT (AND MM), so the award goes to OoT. As far as Story... OoT, once again because WW is kinda mooching off of it...

If I go into any more details on which I think is better, it's all spoilers... so I'll stop right here.

Old 03-27-2003, 12:42 PM   #5
The Duggler
Knight

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker & Def Jam Vendetta

WW by far. Yes OOT was something and I was suprised, but not as much as I am with WW. The story is so much more captivating, and fluid.

Old 03-27-2003, 12:47 PM   #6
TheGame
The Greatest One

Quote:
Originally posted by Ranzid
WW by far. Yes OOT was something and I was suprised, but not as much as I am with WW. The story is so much more captivating, and fluid.
the way I see it.. if you didn't play OoT before, it would be a lot harder to make sense of the story.

I'm not going to say which parts, but you know if you played WW.

Old 03-27-2003, 12:48 PM   #7
Highlander_77
Baron

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGame
For it's time... OoT had a huge overworld for an Action/Adventure game.

But LttP, which came out more than 10 years ago, had a bigger overworld, proportionately, than OoT. Heck, for that matter, the original Zelda had a much bigger overworld with a lot more to do and find in it than OoT did. None of which should be taken as me bashing OoT, it was, and still is, an incredible game.

Old 03-27-2003, 12:51 PM   #8
Highlander_77
Baron

Now Playing:

Quote:
the way I see it.. if you didn't play OoT before, it would be a lot harder to make sense of the story.

But that'a just building on the previous games in the series...that shouldn't be held against WW. Look, most people would agree that 'The Empire Strikes Back' was a better movie with a better story than the original 'Star Wars'...yet if you hadn't seen 'Star Wars', you wouldn't understand much of what was happening in ESB, correct? But that in no way would cause you to proclaim the original 'Star Wars' a better movie...it's just the natural progression of the story.

Old 03-27-2003, 01:46 PM   #9
The Duggler
Knight

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker & Def Jam Vendetta

Quote:

I don't think so. The Legend is always the same, ganon gets the triforce and the hero appears to fight him. But I not far into the game yet so there might be something else more relevant to OOT.

SPOILER BELOW

There is just the part where they say the hero didn't appear one time. I don't get it, so Ganon was sealed but not by Link? What happened? If I'm going to learn about that later than don't tell me

Old 03-27-2003, 03:16 PM   #10
TheGame
The Greatest One

Quote:
Originally posted by Highlander_77
But LttP, which came out more than 10 years ago, had a bigger overworld, proportionately, than OoT. Heck, for that matter, the original Zelda had a much bigger overworld with a lot more to do and find in it than OoT did. None of which should be taken as me bashing OoT, it was, and still is, an incredible game.
LOL, lemme change that... a 3D Avction/Adventure game.

Old 03-27-2003, 03:36 PM   #11
TheGame
The Greatest One

Quote:
Originally posted by Highlander_77
But that'a just building on the previous games in the series...that shouldn't be held against WW. Look, most people would agree that 'The Empire Strikes Back' was a better movie with a better story than the original 'Star Wars'...yet if you hadn't seen 'Star Wars', you wouldn't understand much of what was happening in ESB, correct?
I wouldn't know, because I haven't seens any Star Wars movies besides the origanal.

Quote:
But that in no way would cause you to proclaim the original 'Star Wars' a better movie...it's just the natural progression of the story.
When did I say OoT is the better game?

Also, any way you look at it, in movies or games the first installment to a series will allways have the advantage. Why? Because it usually brings up the most origanal ideas. Does it make it a better game? No, in most cases the sequal is going to be better head up. But for the time it was released is/was it better?

It's like comparing Pong to virtual Tennis head up... or Mario 1 to Mario Sunshine. It's all about who rolls in the more origanality for it's time and which game brough smiles to more faces.

Right now I am in the third "Temple" on WW, so it's way too early to say if it's better or not. But I can say this much, I have seen plenty of new great challenges and feaures... and on the same note I have seen many things that just haven't changed from OoT.

Comparing an origanal game engine to a re-hashed game engine, come on now. In this light it's nothing like a movie.

Old 03-27-2003, 04:19 PM   #12
bobcat
KOF King

Now Playing: Street Fighter IV

Quote:
\
If I go into any more details on which I think is better, it's all spoilers... so I'll stop right here.
that's right, you will.

I'm getting the game from ebay! Hopefully I won't get outbidded

Old 03-28-2003, 05:27 PM   #13
ZebraRampage

Now Playing: Borderlands 2

I don't know if it is better yet because I'm only in the second dungeon. I like the fact that you have to travel all over the place and using the wind waker is cool. The graphics aren't bad at all they look perfectly fine to me. It's just hard to tell if it is better yet because I don't know the whole story and I just started the game.

*sort of spoiler*

The only thing that doesn't make sense is why am I going to all these dungeons, the game hasn't told me the purpose, except for the fact that there are all sorts of monsters that were probably put in those places by ganon. But why am I collecting the things like Din's Pearl, and Farore's whatever it is. Is there a purpose to them.......I guess I'll just have to find out.

*end of spoiler*

Old 03-28-2003, 09:13 PM   #14
DarkMaster
I am not a smart person

Now Playing: Life

Do I like Wind Waker better than Ocarina of Time?

Yes, yes I do.

Wind Waker Vs Ocarina?
Old 03-28-2003, 09:19 PM   #15
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Default Wind Waker Vs Ocarina?

Well this technically has nothng to do with either game, just was curious as to what you thought was the better item. The Wind Waker or the Ocarina.

Well from the little experience I had with the Ocarina and the time I had with the Wind Waker, I prefer the Ocarina a lot better for one it allows for manual control when inputting the song while the Wind Waker somewhat requires memorization since you have to complete the song before it hits the center.

Also, I think the Ocarina looks a helluva lot cooler than the Wind Waker.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away