Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Cell to outpower X-Box 2(NVidia press report)
Old 03-04-2003, 02:55 PM   #1
tarakan69
Knight

Now Playing: Age Of Empires 2 (with friends online)
Default Cell to outpower X-Box 2(NVidia press report)

http://www.visualwebcaster.com/event.asp?id=12272

NVDA Morgan Stanley Conference
by: atyguy (36/M/Montreal) 03/03/03 08:25 pm
Msg: 55287 of 55451

Just listened to the webcast. This is a different Jen-Hsun than I have heard on a couple of other occasions.

Focus of the discussion was on non-core business, but he touched on all segments.

When questioned on what he expected from his new FX GPU family, he hesitated and said that he foresees a good year for the "GPU market" with no real reference to the expected success of the FX family specifically. Said that they are going to market 0.15u mainstream versions of FX, as opposed to the "competitor" which is going with 0.15u in the high end and 0.13u in the mainstream. Says it will provide NVDA with more capacity to meet high-volume mainstream demands and calls it a "clever decision" that should benefit NVDA. Admitted his disappointement with 0.13u delays and problems.

With regard to XBox, said the arbitration process has ultimately helped relationship with MSFT, but when asked about XBox2 he was very ambivalent and said that it represented a significant "technology risk" to any company that undertook the challenge.Uncharacteristically lavished praise on Sony's upcoming PS3 and its cell processor, insinuating that it would almost be miraculous to outdo it.

The only issue on which he sounded relatively confident was nForce2.

Lots of hesitation and uncertainty in his demeanor; he cleared his throat more often than Orton ever has, and sounded far less cocky and sure of himself than I've ever heard him.

Old 03-04-2003, 03:20 PM   #2
Perfect Stu
Knight

Now Playing: GTA4

Power won't be a big issue next gen methinks...it will be all about the games...

I guess it's good to hear that the Cell is intimidating competitors, but I don't see the big deal...

Old 03-04-2003, 03:24 PM   #3
tarakan69
Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
Power won't be a big issue next gen methinks...it will be all about the games...

I guess it's good to hear that the Cell is intimidating competitors, but I don't see the big deal...
What wardrum will we hear with X-Box 2 when it loses it's "most powerful" console advantage.

If Sony plays it's cards right Microsoft is in for a beating harder than this gen.

Old 03-04-2003, 03:31 PM   #4
Perfect Stu
Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by tarakan69
What wardrum will we hear with X-Box 2 when it loses it's "most powerful" console advantage.

If Sony plays it's cards right Microsoft is in for a beating harder than this gen.
sure, XBox fanboys could lose that weapon in stupid little pathetic arguements...but maybe their games will be of higher quality?

Either way, I see definite quality in both Xbox2 and PS3

Old 03-04-2003, 03:40 PM   #5
tarakan69
Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
sure, XBox fanboys could lose that weapon in stupid little pathetic arguements...but maybe their games will be of higher quality?

Either way, I see definite quality in both Xbox2 and PS3
Thing is... If the X-Box was to launch with the same processing abilities as PS2... you can expect it's sales to be half of what they are now.

Old 03-04-2003, 03:45 PM   #6
Perfect Stu
Knight

Quote:
Thing is... If the X-Box was to launch with the same processing abilities as PS2... you can expect it's sales to be half of what they are now.
hmm...probably, simply because developers would have no reason to make games for the system...but with M$ backing it, it's going to sell a decent amount

Old 03-04-2003, 04:55 PM   #7
Dyne
Or should I say.. smanger

Now Playing: Infinity Blade II, Duke Nukem Forever, Skyrim, Vanquish

Uh oh...

The "My product will be superior to your product" play. Not good.

Har har.. I still remember Sony claim that PS2 will have Toy Story graphics.. I still laugh..

Old 03-04-2003, 05:46 PM   #8
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

First of all, this is one guy's opinion. Second of all, we have absolutely no facts, this is all based on speculation. So right now it's basically a bunch of nonsense and a fight over nothing.

Also, it is Xbox, damnit!!!

Old 03-04-2003, 05:55 PM   #9
Perfect Stu
Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by Bond
First of all, this is one guy's opinion. Second of all, we have absolutely no facts, this is all based on speculation. So right now it's basically a bunch of nonsense and a fight over nothing.
Yes...one guy's opinion. One guy who knows a lot more than all of us about: a) technology in general. b) what we can expect from this Cell technology and what the competition can produce in the future, specifically. I bet he's also representing a lot of people who share his opinion...

you don't know what he knows, therefore you can't state that this is all about nonsense...

oh, and there is no 'fight' of which you speak of...just a statement

Old 03-05-2003, 01:04 AM   #10
GameKinG
KinG of GameTavern

Now Playing: Yo Mama

Im sure all consoles will be so powerful next gen you wont tell the difference. Well, you may, but its a toss up between super ultra realistic, and mega ultra realistic.

Though I doubt either will be THAT realistic...

Old 03-05-2003, 01:17 AM   #11
Dyne
Or should I say.. smanger

Now Playing: Infinity Blade II, Duke Nukem Forever, Skyrim, Vanquish

*sees all games turn cel-shaded*

Ya know, it could end up like that. Every game on the SNES was cel shaded. Didn't anyone ever notice?

Well, think about it. It probably takes less processing power to execute a cel-shaded game done very well to a realistic game that's mediocre. With all this so-called power we're going to see next gen, wouldn't it be awesome to have a 200 hour cartoon quest?

*hears teh Celda groaners approach him from behind*

Old 03-05-2003, 03:13 AM   #12
TheGame
The Greatest One

Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions

Well, being Weaker than Ps3 next generation will be a sin, much like beaing weaker than Ps2 this generation, and Psx last generation. Sony is the only company right now that I can see getting away with weak technology while getting the most units sold.

I dunno though, we can peek into the past to see how graphics effect sales... look at N64 compared to GCN. N64 was leaps ahead of Psx, and it sold well because of that... now GCN is a few steps ahead of Ps2, and it sales like crap... what's next? It falls a step behind and it can only get worse.

As far as M$, I think they will have enough quality titles to reverse it's power issues... Third parties trust M$ for some weird reason, and MS has better first party support than Sony.

The thing is, the curve for graphics will not be as huge as it has been in the past no matter what happens. This generation the weakest console (Ps2) is still damn close to reality... the gap between games looking like real movies is getting smaller and smaller. I expect the next consoles to have a longer shelf life then this generation for that reason.

Re: Cell to outpower X-Box 2(NVidia press report)
Old 03-05-2003, 06:57 AM   #13
PuPPeT
Duke

Now Playing:
Default Re: Cell to outpower X-Box 2(NVidia press report)

Quote:
http://www.visualwebcaster.com/event.asp?id=12272

Uncharacteristically lavished praise on Sony's upcoming PS3 and its cell processor, insinuating that it would almost be miraculous to outdo it.
Ummm Yea but did not Sony say the PS3 was not using a CELL type chip! The whole CELL chip would not work to well in a Console! In other words all the info that came out about a year ago was total crap! A CELL system as used in super computer will just not work in a Console you will never see the type of online speeds to you will need to make it work in 20 years let alone 3.

The Whole CELL based thing came around cuss Sony is going to use a CELL type net work in most of it's TV's DVD's and Other type systems so they can talk to each other. I do happen to think the new IBM CPU in the PS3 will be far better then any thing else your see! But as the Xbox shows you that don't mean a god damn thing the CPU in PC's MAC's and Console's is doing far less work then before, no the race will be all about the GPU (again).

And hell as most will tell you who the hell needs a 64 128 or even a 256 bit! more bit do not always give you more speed.

Re: Cell to outpower X-Box 2(NVidia press report)
Old 03-05-2003, 08:26 AM   #14
PuPPeT
Duke

Now Playing:
Default Re: Cell to outpower X-Box 2(NVidia press report)

Quote:
With regard to XBox, said the arbitration process has ultimately helped relationship with MSFT, but when asked about XBox2 he was very ambivalent and said that it represented a significant "technology risk" to any company that undertook the challenge.Uncharacteristically lavished praise on Sony's upcoming PS3 and its cell processor, insinuating that it would almost be miraculous to outdo it.

He did not say that at all!!!! he said some thing like this "He also spoke of the difficulties that he expects Sony to encounter with its next PlayStation console, saying that its Cell processor would be extraordinarily powerful, but difficult to engineer and produce." But as i said in my other post Sonys CEO said that PS3 would not be using a Cell CPU.

Old 03-05-2003, 09:58 AM   #15
Jonbo298
Freaky me Freaky you

Now Playing:

I think Sony wanted to talk about Cell and being in the PS3 just to get publicity because anything PS related deserves to be blown out of proportion. I doubt we will see the next console be 1,000 times faster/better then the last console. I dont think the PS2 is 1,000 faster/better then the PS1. Or any console for that matter. I know someone will say this if I don't, so I will. Yes, technology is advancing faster then ever, but I think Sony is blowing some things out of proportion and trying to misinform some people so that they think its something else just for publicity. But I'm not listening to much until I see the official specs and see that whatever ANY company says is true and I can see that it is. blah!

Credit to Null for sig