Old 03-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Default Re: Mass Effect 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combine 017 View Post
Just beat it, I guess ill wait a bit before throwing down my opinion on it.
Being as vague as possible.

Do you have a problem with the ending?
Seems to be a lot of backlash against Bioware/EA for that. Even as far as gamers setting up petitions to get Bioware to change it.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Re: Mass Effect 3
Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Combine 017
Headcrabs!

Now Playing: ...Always playing: Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2:Episode One, Half-Life 2:Episode Two, TF2, EVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post

Seems to be a lot of backlash against Bioware/EA for that. Even as far as gamers setting up petitions to get Bioware to change it.
What a shitty ending to one of the greatest stories ive experienced. It leaves so much un-answered and just destroys a lot of the mood the other games built up. It doesnt explain what happens to anyone other than implying what happens to the crew of the Normandy(which I dont even know why they were in that situation in the first place. Seriously, wtf?). I spent all this time uniting a divided galaxy, bringing everyone together to face this threat as one force, but now the galaxy is more separated than ever before, not to mention that a majority of every alien races defence is left in the Sol system. Theres just no happy endings here, and thats really all I wanted to see, even if it was just a cliche ending like "you saved the galaxy, heres some medals and an award ceremony followed by kissing your lover, the end" It was just a really disappointing ending that they could have so very easily made better instead of retarded. Uhg.

Last edited by Combine 017 : 03-13-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post

Jesus Christ, what a horrible idea.

"Good ending DLC, only $10!"

Old 03-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

Well there are 16 endings. Is that not enough?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox 6 View Post
Well there are 16 endings. Is that not enough?
Evidently not. I guess there is some overarching plot line that people don't like, regardless of which ending you choose? Maybe the endings only have subtle differences.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
Evidently not. I guess there is some overarching plot line that people don't like, regardless of which ending you choose? Maybe the endings only have subtle differences.
From what I gather there are 3 "main" endings with some minor variations.

Quote:

Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

well I know for a fact right off the bat it matters if you saved the collector base in ME2, which splits the endings right up the middle, so it cant be 3 endings.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Quote:
well I know for a fact right off the bat it matters if you saved the collector base in ME2, which splits the endings right up the middle, so it cant be 3 endings.
How do you know it matters? Have you actually played through both endings, or read plot summaries for each one?

Mass Effect has a way with taking choices you made in previous games, seeming to take them into consideration, and then sweeping them under the rug with the same outcome regardless except for one super minor difference, usually a line or two of dialogue.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Quote:
How do you know it matters? Have you actually played through both endings, or read plot summaries for each one?

Mass Effect has a way with taking choices you made in previous games, seeming to take them into consideration, and then sweeping them under the rug with the same outcome regardless except for one super minor difference, usually a line or two of dialogue.
Ive read about it not too long ago.

Basically it matters if you saved the base at all, and your galactic readiness level. 8 Ending for saved the base, 8 for destroyed the base. Each one taking into account your readiness level.

Having not played the 3rd one and not planning to, I think youre making a bit of a conclusion about choice making. A lot of stuff you did over the past 2 games comes into play here.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #10
Combine 017
Headcrabs!

Now Playing: ...Always playing: Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2:Episode One, Half-Life 2:Episode Two, TF2, EVE

Quote:
Ive read about it not too long ago.

Basically it matters if you saved the base at all, and your galactic readiness level. 8 Ending for saved the base, 8 for destroyed the base. Each one taking into account your readiness level.
Where the hell did you hear that? I havent seen what its like if you save the collector base though, think ill play through that way next and have Mordin alive so I can hear him sing.

For people who beat the game or dont care:
There are 3 "endings". Really, theres only one ending, no matter what path you choose(good/bad/also good) the outcome is the same. The main difference in the endings is the change of color in the final weapons energy pulse. Uber disappointing.

Last edited by Combine 017 : 03-13-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:20 AM   #11
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combine 017 View Post
Where the hell did you hear that? I havent seen what its like if you save the collector base though, think ill play through that way next and have Mordin alive so I can hear him sing.

For people who beat the game or dont care:
There are 3 "endings". Really, theres only one ending, no matter what path you choose(good/bad/also good) the outcome is the same. The main difference in the endings is the change of color in the final weapons energy pulse. Uber disappointing.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect-3/Endings

Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

I think it depends on how you define "ending." As for the actual final string of cutscenes that lead into the credits... There's only three. And those are pretty darn similar. They end in the same place. If you have enough "Effective Military Strength" and choose the right option you can get an extra little bit right before the credits, but that's it.

If you're referring to everything leading up to "the decision" (which then triggers the "we're coming up on the credits" cutscene), then there are several variations depending on what your EMS is. Again, nothing terribly drastic. It all ends up in the same spot.

Also, there's a small coda at the end of the credits. Supposedly it only appears if you finish ME3 with an import from ME2 or as NG+, but I had an import so I don't know.

Current Review: Xenogears

Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
I think it depends on how you define "ending." As for the actual final string of cutscenes that lead into the credits... There's only three. And those are pretty darn similar. They end in the same place. If you have enough "Effective Military Strength" and choose the right option you can get an extra little bit right before the credits, but that's it.

If you're referring to everything leading up to "the decision" (which then triggers the "we're coming up on the credits" cutscene), then there are several variations depending on what your EMS is. Again, nothing terribly drastic. It all ends up in the same spot.

Also, there's a small coda at the end of the credits. Supposedly it only appears if you finish ME3 with an import from ME2 or as NG+, but I had an import so I don't know.
This is what I suspected, and why I think choice driven games just do not work well in a series.

Dragon Age Origins would have the same issues if they ever try to make a direct sequel to it.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #14
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

I need to play this game just so I can see what all the hubub is concerning ME3's ending...

Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
This is what I suspected, and why I think choice driven games just do not work well in a series.

Dragon Age Origins would have the same issues if they ever try to make a direct sequel to it.
I think it has possibilities, I recently played Alpha Protocol, and while the end suffers the same fate (multiple endings, but really only 3-4 with some variations)

I think the decisions in that game are handled a lot better in Mass Effect as you see the immediate and long-term effects, and the game tends to be nice enough to point it out to you..

Oh you helped so and so first, he'll be able to assist you on this mission if you choose.

Oh you spared what's his face, his allies will not be a threat to you on this mission and has left a secret cache of weapons for you.

Quote: