Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

To those with both a DS and PSP...
Old 03-29-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power
Default To those with both a DS and PSP...

Which did you enjoy more after first playing it? How does the DS compare now that you have a PSP? Which would you suggest more?

Re: To those with both a DS and PSP...
Old 03-29-2005, 12:46 PM   #2
Null
The Nullified One

Now Playing: Counter-Strike: Source
Default Re: To those with both a DS and PSP...

i have a DS in the house, its not MINE, but i get the same amount of access to it.

honestly as i keep telling people, drop the names completly, who cares who makes which, look at just the list of options and decide what ones are important to you. they are both fine handhelds, just do differnet things.

that being said. i definently would NOT give up my psp for a DS, i didnt plan on buying any, but im extremly happy with my psp. it just does so much, and with many many more things it can do on the way. i love being able to hold a ton of pictures on it and it cycles thro them with ease, and i can sort them by putting them in thier own folder. and show em to whoever i like, and they're going to release a little addon on the top that lets ya take pictures with it.... And i love being able to play movies that i put on it myself. tv shows off of DVD's and my tivo. and for me personally, the bigger wide screen is much more useful to me then having 2 smaller screens.

and i enjoy the psp this much with only one game. lol. i just love all that it can do. i cant imagine how much i'll like it once its able to play the old mario and zelda games

its all about what you plan on doing with the handheld. neither have any Spetacular games, but psp has some pretty good ones. and once nintendo gets over its dependency to make every DS game completly use the touch screen i think it'll have some really good ones too.

the DS is enjoyable. i'd be happy with it if i owned it. just for me i'd want all the things the psp can do and has the potential to do in the future.

And before Jonbo flips his lid, im sure MS will make a handheld sometime, and im sure it'll be good too.

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Last edited by Null : 03-29-2005 at 01:00 PM.

Old 03-29-2005, 01:14 PM   #3
MuGen
Fuuton Rasenshuriken

Now Playing: Enchanted Arms PS3

I've played my friend's DS and I've played some DS demo's at retail stores and I'd have to say it is a very enjoyable handheld. I played Wario Ware Touched and I had a lot of fun with it.

Ever since I bought the PSP, I've been playing it non-stop. I've always told myself that I would never fall into the handheld market because I never really play games on the go or while traveling. But to my surprise with the PSP, I'm playing everywhere now. Including music that I put on it.

The PSP changed the way I game... in fact I've played the PSP more the past week and a half more than I've played my PS2. But eventually that will change when I buy God of War. But back to the point, I'd have to say..

The DS and the PSP are great machines, no doubt about it, but since this is asking for opinionated discussion I'd have to say I enjoy the PSP a lot more.

Of course the DS has it's fun filled games and it's very enjoyable. But the games out for the PSP and the games I have for it, all appeal to me more, and are that much more enjoyable to me.

Hence, I enjoy the PSP more, but to avoid implication... the DS is also a wonderful machine.

And what would I suggest more? Well, it all depends on your game taste, and what you're looking for right now.

In my opinion, if your looking for in-depth games, and immersed gameplay the PSP is the way to go, with a bigger screen and great launch titles.

The DS is a party pleaser, where lots of people can have fun with it and play their favorite games.

I suggest to get the PSP to those who are pondering the decision, considerably because of the bigger LCD and the sharper resolution it gets. It also has some of the best launch titles out there. Untold Legends, Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Darkstalkers, Dynasty Warriors... a lot of fun games.

I let my friend's brother ( a very avid Nintendo fr3ak ) play the PSP with Untold Legends inside and these were his exact words... not mine:

"Ok... now i'm almost sure the DS will get owned."

Again.... his words.... not mine. So I can almost imagine what others may think after playing the PSP (yes... after playing it....not just speculating).

Dark Samurai's brother is now hooked on Untold Legends....

Last edited by Kyuzo : 03-29-2005 at 01:19 PM.

Old 03-29-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

I didn't even have to read kyuzos post to tell you he chose sony

Old 03-29-2005, 01:32 PM   #5
Null
The Nullified One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox 6
I didn't even have to read kyuzos post to tell you he chose sony

you can say that for most the people on the forum tho. we know what they'll choose.

like jonbo will come in here and say he chooses the MS handheld xbox even tho there isnt one.

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Old 03-29-2005, 03:09 PM   #6
MuGen
Fuuton Rasenshuriken

uhmm.... I think there IS one!

But honestly speaking, I made an honest judgement between the handhelds.

The PSP has the market in games and graphics, and right now the touch screen isn't enough to give stiff competition. Right now, I think the REAL competition will be PSP vs. the New Gameboy coming out.

But my answer was in no way bias. I've experienced both DS and PSP and the truth is PSP is a superior machine in graphics and games. The DS has battery life and loading time on it's side... as is the case with many Nintendo handhelds.

Dan asked for what we thought was a better machine and what we'd suggest. So I suggested the PSP because I believe it IS a better machine then the DS in more ways then some. It's not completely better then the DS. But Dan asked and I answered, along with any others to come.

Please don't try to make this a fanboy derived thread.

Last edited by Kyuzo : 03-29-2005 at 03:14 PM.

Old 03-29-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
Neo
Former CEO

Now Playing: Silent Hill: Downpour

I don't own a PSP yet, but I imagine it would be more fun to play than the DS. Whenever I play DS I feel the screen size is restrictive now that I know there is a larger option available. I almost thought about trading in my DS, but there are a lot of cool games coming out eventually. Castlevania and Advance Wars are enough to make me want to hold on to it. Plus if I sold it I'd have to get an SP anyway so I really wouldn't be saving much.

DS
Innovative touch screen
Dual screens
Durable
Plays GBA games
Strong battery life
Fairly inexpensive

PSP
Large, crisp display
PS1.5 graphics
Plays umd movies
Plays mp3s and personal videos
Strong title selection

Last edited by Neo : 03-29-2005 at 03:29 PM.

Old 03-29-2005, 03:42 PM   #8
Canyarion
Nerd of the Rings

Now Playing: Lotsa games that I need to beat! | WarCraft III + TFT

What do you mean with PS1.5 graphics? I'm pretty sure it has PS2 graphics, if not better.

"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit" - Oscar Wilde

Old 03-29-2005, 03:46 PM   #9
Dark Samurai
A Samurai? Duh...

Now Playing: Modern Warfare 2

For me, "unique" experiences only happen on DS, the PSP has too many ports for a "unique" experience handheld. Untold Legends is an OK kind of game on my book, Wipeout = boring, same with Lumines, Ridge Racer is the SH*T!! DarkStalkers and Twisted Metal are good games...

For the DS, the touch screen does make a difference in gameplay, sometimes bad, and sometimes good, Metroid Prime Hunters... ownage on PSP, I cant wait for it. That and Mario Kart.

For me, the DS didnt have much good games, and the PSP did... The DS needs to have a badass killer app, and Mario Kart and Metroid are just the ones to do it... Online...

Wii: 7837 3313 7864 6879
Smash: 0516 7138 6445

Add me, then challenge me!

Old 03-29-2005, 03:54 PM   #10
Null
The Nullified One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyarion
What do you mean with PS1.5 graphics? I'm pretty sure it has PS2 graphics, if not better.

i'd call em more along the lines of DC graphics. its better then 1.5, however, as much as they can pull tricks to make things look as good as they do on ps2. like they say the GT games look identical, if it were displayed on a full sized screen i think you'd notice the differences.

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Old 03-29-2005, 03:55 PM   #11
MuGen
Fuuton Rasenshuriken

So in essence, you chose? lol

Honestly though, I don't think too many people would strive for a DS because of games that will eventually or games that are going to come out.

At this point in time... PSP has the games that attract sales.

Last edited by Kyuzo : 03-29-2005 at 04:10 PM.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:22 PM   #12
Neo
Former CEO

The DS makes my hands cramp. Anyone get that with the PSP?

Old 03-29-2005, 04:30 PM   #13
MuGen
Fuuton Rasenshuriken

Well honestly, they don't cramp but my hands get tired playing the PSP ... lol... but it'll probably happen if you play it as long as me.

But no.... no cramps for me.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:37 PM   #14
Neo
Former CEO

As soon as I start playing it my hands start to hurt. I think it's because the controls are right on the edges. The angle forces your thumbs in tight.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:41 PM   #15
Dark Samurai
A Samurai? Duh...

Now Playing: Modern Warfare 2

They both give me hand cramps.

Wii: 7837 3313 7864 6879
Smash: 0516 7138 6445

Add me, then challenge me!