Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Music

Last shows you went to.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess
Default Last shows you went to.

Well, just like "the last movies you saw" thread, I figured we could have one of these for concerts. Who did you see? How was it? Where? What kind of venue? Good crowd? That kind of thing.

Anyway, I saw the band Art Brut last night with Cymbals eat Guitars opening at a 300-some capacity venue in Philadelphia called Johnny Brenda's. My band had opened up for the British band Art Brut back in 2006 and we had a great time touring with them so it was fun to seem them again after a couple of years. I had never seen Cymbals Eat Guitars, but I enjoyed them more than I thought. Art Brut was great as usual and solidified their status as one of my favorite live bands. Anyway, it was a good time and a good crowd and I'd recommend checking them out.

Re: Last shows you went to.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power
Default Re: Last shows you went to.

I haven't been to a show since Halloween to see Polysics. That was the best show I've been to (excluding The Spinto Band of course). The majority of the past shows I've been to were bands I wasn't familiar with and a bit too laid back for my taste. Like some good craziness. And being Halloween you had a bunch of moshing zombies which is always cool if you leave with your brains intact.

EDIT: Found a video from the Polysics show. They all came out dressed as Devo before ripping off the costumes after a few songs. That was a great night.

Last edited by Teuthida : 02-14-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
Combine 017
Headcrabs!

Now Playing: ...Always playing: Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2:Episode One, Half-Life 2:Episode Two, TF2, EVE

Hmm lets see. The last show I went to was nothing cause ive never been to a show.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
Acebot44
Knight

Now Playing: Vectorman

I've been to many a small show since at places like the Whiskey A Go Go, Troubadour, Knitting Factory and all the other places on Sunset since September, but on 9/25 I saw Atmosphere at the Wiltern (named for being located on the corner of Western and Wilshire blvd). One of if not THE best show I've ever had the pleasure of attending.

Concerts are so much better when you know the lyrics and sing/rap along and that was definitely the case here. Me and the other 2000+ plus people there went verse for verse with Slug, that it felt like the whole building was on the same level.

I think I posted this before, but this depicts how much love was felt that night

Old 06-08-2009, 03:07 AM   #5
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

That would have been Marit Larsen, in Paradiso, Amsterdam.

Great music, great voice, great person.
Small, but awesome audience. We overwhelmed her by singing along with almost every song.

One of the quieter songs, but the recording is really good.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Blue Man Group... I guess... I don't go out to many shows...

Old 06-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

I haven't been out in a long long time. Me and Dyne used to go to shows really frequently, but have cut back a lot lately.

I had tickets to go see Manchester Orchestra a month ago, but couldn't make it - so I guess the last show I went to was Danko Jones.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

I haven't been at a concert in forever!

Actually the last one was your Spinto show in October.

I need to get a job so I can attend more concerts...

Old 06-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Neil Fucking Young. I had floor seats and was able to get roughly 25 feet away from the Legend himself. Yes, it was awesome. Here is a video I found from that night in Chicago:

Old 06-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
Ric
Former King Of The Arcade

Now Playing: Battle Pirates / Warface / Minecraft

Not the last show I went to this one but most certainly my favourite. In 2004 (I think) C.H and I went to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers Live in Hyde Park, on the Saturday. We managed to get a good deal with a tout and ended up with 2 tickets for less than thier face value.

This concert was fucking brilliant, I was a bit wasted as I was going to make a joint outside and a security guard saw me so I had to eat my drugs so as not to get caught

They were supported by James Brown, which was absolutely fantastic. I am glad I got to see him perform in my life time.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #11
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

Well, I went to another show on Monday. This time it was one of all time favorites Jenny Lewis with a cool band Deer Tick opening. My band has played with both of these bands before, so I got into the show for free which is always a good deal.

The show was at the Trocadero Theatre in Philadelphia, PA which is a nice old 1200 capacity or so theater in Chinatown. One bummer is that the 21+ area is upstairs and unless you have a seat, you basically cannot see the stage from up there. Of course you can't bring beer down to the area where you can actually see the band, so it kind of penalizes the drinkers, oh well.

Anyway, it was pretty damn crowded and both Deer Tick and Jenny put on a good show. Basically, Jenny is as babe as babe can be and very talented, so it's an amazing combination. Unfortunately she's dating a dude in her band who is kind of a weinus. Ah, I wish we were still on tour with her, oh well...

Old 06-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Germanator View Post
for free which is always a good deal.
You sound Dutch.

I just remembered that Marit Larsen's wasn't the last show I went to. A month ago we had the liberation day's festival, I saw some bands there. It was for free. Nothing worth noting though.
Actually, now that I think of it, I wanted to download music of a French band. *searches*

Ma Valise. http://www.mavalise.com/ma-valise.php
Give it a listen if you like world music!

Old 09-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

Now Playing: Borderlands 2, DKCR3D, TLoU: Remastered

I actually have been to two awesome shows recently.

I went to see Incubus in the middle of August which was a great show since it was more of their hits and not their newest (edit: crap) album.

And then, I saw Depeche Mode. Holy crap you guys. It was amazing. They really know how to perform after so many years of being around. Their stage setup was awesome too. There are a lot of clips on YouTube. Here's one.

My favorite shows though were probably the two Opeth shows I've been to. One at Revolution in Miami (well Ft. Lauderdale which is a little farther north), and the second time at House of Blues in Boston.

3DS Friend Code: 1590-4790-6369

Old 09-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #14
ZebraRampage

Now Playing: Borderlands 2

I went to three concerts this summer.

The first one was Foreigner in May. I saw them in Reading, PA. They have a new guy as their lead singer in place of Lou Gramm who left the band a few years ago.

During the fourth of July weekend, I saw the Doobie Brothers at the Tropicana in Atlantic City. They sounded really good, but too bad the venue wasn't very good in terms of sound quality.

Then in mid July I saw Sir Paul McCartney at Citi Field in New York. I don't think that I will ever go to a concert that will be better than that one was. He played 34 songs, and he's 67. He didn't even have an intermission, and he still sounded great.

I believe that that was from the show I went to. I saw it on July 18th. That was the last two songs of the concert. I always liked how he started combining Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) with The End to finish his more recent concerts.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 PM   #15
jeepnut
Mr. Sarcasm

Now Playing:

Creed with Hoobastank.

I'm serious.

"Truth is not determined by a majority vote." - Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI Putting the smackdown on heresy since 1981
"Abortion is mean." - Rock For Life
"Remember men, we're all in the same boat - and women are on the shore, laughing." - Red Green