Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Mass Effect Legendary Edition
Old 02-02-2021, 04:26 PM   #1
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:
Default Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Mass Effect remastered: Everything we know

Anyone else excited for this? I love the original Mass Effect trilogy; probably some of my most replayed games and I'm eager to give it another go in May (confession: I've actually been hankering to play again for a little while, but was holding out for hope of a remaster; excited to get a release date finally).

To be honest, its a little disconcerting that not only is Mass Effect old enough to get a remaster like this, but also that the third game is old enough to have had TWO active threads here:

Mass Effect 3

Mass Effect 3 Ending Discussion

I don't expect the conversation will go as long for this remaster lol

Current Review: Xenogears

Re: Mass Effect Legendary Edition
Old 05-12-2021, 03:58 PM   #2
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:
Default Re: Mass Effect Legendary Edition

This is coming out in two days. Going to be honest: I'm pretty hyped.

Re: Mass Effect Legendary Edition
Old 05-17-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:
Default Re: Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Spent essentially the entire weekend playing and made it through the entirety of ME1 and the opening missions of ME2.

If you've ever considered yourself a fan of Mass Effect you should definitely pick this up. Speaking for the first game, this is is truly the definitive edition of the game. Its not a remake, but it is more than just a simple remaster. ME1 has kind of been the janky one of the series. The story is obviously relevant, but the gameplay hardly resembles what we got in the next two games and the visuals had an odd disconnect from the rest of the series. The LE does a lot to remedy that as much as it can without rebuilding the game from the ground up. The shooting is a little tighter, the UI fits in better with the other games, and the visual quality is more in the with those games as well.

The changes are subtle enough that if you've only played the first game when it came out, or at least haven't played for a long time, you might not realize the glow up the game has received, but if you're familiar or see them side by side it is very very apparent.

I'm not far in to the second game, but so far it feels a lot more like a standard remaster. Maybe some touched up textures to fit the higher res, but that's about it. I don't mean this as a complaint, ME2 needs less, just something I've noticed.

I did have a few technical issues on PC. Nothing too major or game crippling. In ME1 on release day I had some weird performance issues. At first it was buttery smooth but as I went on I started running into some hitches until it was consistently running at 30 FPS or lower. I ended up quitting for the night as it was late. It was fine the next morning. At the first sign of some slowness on Saturday I took a break and shut it down for about a half hour and everything was fine. I didn't see it slow down again at all after that. Not sure what happened.

A couple of minor glitches only noticeable because I don't recall them from the 360 version. If I parked the Mako too close to an item to inspect I could neither inspect the item or get back in the Mako. Fortunately, I got just beam back up to the ship and come back down and everything was fine, but odd. I also had a moment where the Mako wouldn't move at all; just one time. I had to reload my save.

In ME2, it defaulted to 720p at first although ME1 had defaulted to 4K. I tried to change it in the menu, but it wouldn't take. Had to close and re-open the game.