BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Default Re: Superman: The Man of Steel

This never ends well, but what the heck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
There were two good scenes though. The oil rig scene was BADASS. My heart was pounding during that. That was some good shit. The other scene that was well done was the scene when the kids were bullying young Clark, and he just took the abuse...and the bullies walk away, and you see what Clark did to the fence. I thought that was an awesome scene that really conveyed message/meaning. You know...like a movie is supposed to.
I agree and disagree
I think the rig scene was cool, but in the grand scheme of things should have been cut for time and pacing since it adds nothing to the film.

Also same thing with the bullying scene, or swap it out with the scene at the bar. Both of them were around for the same purpose, Clark doesn't use his powers for people being asses because he knows he can hurt/kill them.

Quote:
The scene where Kevin Costner committed self-mutilation by tornado was probably the dumbest thing I've seen on the big screen since Waterworld. I'm not saying that Kevin Costner should feel bad for being a mediocre B-List actor with no talent that no one gives a shit about, but seriously, if he ever sees a tornado in real life....(I understand that he didn't actually write that awful scene, I'm just saying).
This scene... and kind of Pa Kent was strange in this movie.
I get wanting to protect his son and all that, but Clark could have zipped over there, grabbed him in a blink of an eye and no one would have been the wiser.
Heck, people would probably chalk it up to being stressed from the storm
I don't mind Pa Kent dying, but I always felt the lesson should be that with all his great powers, there are some things that not even Clark/Superman can defeat. His dying a natural death is that

Him choosing to sacrifice himself while his son watched is just weird.

Quote:
The best action scene in this movie was the fight in the small desert town where Superman was being thrown into trains, and trains were being thrown into Superman, and that general chick was kicking ass. That was some cool shit.
I agree
It also had the most emotional backing with them threatening his mother and the humans still not sure what to make of him.

Quote:
The stuff at the end of the movie was so...yawn. Pretentious and boring. And what the fuck was with that tentacle world destroyer thing? Can you talk about forced nonsense for the sake of being forced nonsense? Not only was that scene boring as hell, but it made no sense.
I wouldn't say boring, but so little personal investment.
Less so with the tentacle business
And more to do with the crew of the planet being stuck because up to that point none of them were given enough screentime to be of importance to me
I didn't even know the lady's name until that scene!
So I was just asking myself, why should I care?

Quote:
This must be a Nolan thing...apparently what passes for "Superhero" these days is the massive destruction of cities. It's funny, because we saw Bane do some serious damage to Gotham, and now we see Zod destroy half of New York/Metropolis...and it couldn't be any less exciting. The end of The Dark Knight was ten times more intense than this fake bullshit. And seriously, did you know that the black guy from The Matrix was in this new Superman movie? Yeah, he's like running from lasers and falling buildings and shit, because apparently The Wachowski Brothers couldn't afford to pay for him to continue to lead people down the rabbit hole, or whatever.
I'm up in the air about the destruction thing.
I'll give him a pass since its his first real mission, but I really do think its a plot point they need to follow up with in the sequel.

Which is why I think Luthor would be a great foe for it, as much as I'm in no hurry to have him in ANOTHER Superman flick.

Quote:
I guess my final gripe will be with Lois Lane. First off, it's a good god damn coincidence that Kryptonians or whatever they are called look like humans. You'd think that Superman, an alien who can see people's freaky bones, would want nothing to do with a lady or her lady bits. But what do I know. Interspecies erotica here we come. Like most of these movies, I thought Lois was kind of underdeveloped. Her bravery (not to be confused with being an empowered woman) was more of a plot vehicle for some confusing bullshit on that spaceship. Also, apparently Zod and the Kryptonites are so smart they can build a spaceship that can block out the radiation from the sun and create a fake atmosphere, but they can't save their exploding planet.
I liked this Lois
I think because so much of her plot point is kind of independent of Superman.

Sure, she is chasing a ghost that turns out to be him, but I like that it isn't just her pining after this Superman, but being a thorough reporter, who does eventually track down his secret identity.

Also think she's cute

Quote:
Once the action/nostalgia boner wares off, this movie is going to age like dogshit. Nolan needs to stop writing these clunkers. He had two winners in Batman Begins/TDK. Quit while you're ahead.
Nolan had nothing to do with the writing of this film.
On an official level, I think there were some points where he reigned in Synder... I can't remember which scene exactly, but know spoke of it in an interview heard after the movie came out

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Re: Superman: The Man of Steel
Old 08-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #32
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Re: Superman: The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
I think the rig scene was cool, but in the grand scheme of things should have been cut for time and pacing since it adds nothing to the film.

Also same thing with the bullying scene, or swap it out with the scene at the bar. Both of them were around for the same purpose, Clark doesn't use his powers for people being asses because he knows he can hurt/kill them.
I thought the oil rig scene was more engaging than the city destruction stuff, I feel like they could have edited down some of the ending and yeah. I preferred the fence scene vs. the bar scene, because as an adolescent you're more likely to act out...I feel like the bar scene was still a lot of fun though, one of the few scenes that gave a sly wink like, "dude, having super powers is fucking AWESOME."

Quote:
Also think she's cute
She's hot. Jim from The Office made a huge mistake.

Quote:
Nolan had nothing to do with the writing of this film.
On an official level, I think there were some points where he reigned in Synder... I can't remember which scene exactly, but know spoke of it in an interview heard after the movie came out
I don't know how much of this was Nolan/Snyder/Goyer

I'm gonna have to watch this film again, and I kind of think a Director's Cut might add some flow to this film.

I thought The Dark Knight was awesome, despite the mild dragging with the Bane-speech-election-destruction scene. The opener was awesome, Catwoman was awesome, Bane was awesome...

That part on the plane where Bane says: "NO! They expect one of us in the wreckage, brother."

I mean, yeah the movie had some issues and it wasn't the mindfuck of awesome that The Dark Knight was, but yeah.

Hopefully the sequel to Man of Steel will be better...and seems like a lot of the second movies in comic series are the best.