Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

New Fall TV SHOWS!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Default New Fall TV SHOWS!

So the walking dead got me curious about the other tv shows being premiered this season. I'm uber excited about some of the, mostly because the new shows of last season SUCKED, even FlashForward went sour after their brief hiatus.

Anyway:

First up:

Undercovers:

Perhaps a little cheesy, definitely playing off the Mr. and Mrs. Smith type of movie (Including that new one with Ashton Kutcher and that other one with Tom Cruise), but it looks kinda funny and I love cheesy spy type stuff.

The Event:

Oh my. I think NBC is making a mistake, not the president. What is the event? Surely something we wont know about for a whole season or longer.

Outsourced:

My best friend is marrying an Indian girl the 19th of September. That is entirely unrelated to this show, but I found it funny anyway. I'm sure tons of people will call this show racist. Iamexcite.jpg

Harry's Law:

Lawyer Show, but with Kathy Bates. I guess her career is really going down the toilet. Either that or NBC is really desperate.

The Cape:

Cause who doesn't love a superhero story in the midst of 1000 superhero movies and shows?

Friends with Benefits:

Sexually charged comedy. Ok. I get it, they're friends, and they also have benefits. They'll obviously fall in love at some point, then fall out of it. Seen it in like at least 10 films now. Just get a whole season instead.

Chase:

It's cool guys, I can chase murderers.

Perfect Couples:

This actually looks kinda funny. Hmm.

I think that's about it for NBC this fall. Not sure on any dates or anything, just no that the only thing I'm really interested in is the Cape and possible Undercovers.

Re: New Fall TV SHOWS!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:
Default Re: New Fall TV SHOWS!

You forgot Law & Order: Los Angeles.

...yeah, I'm not too excited about that one either. And I was a fan of the original series up until its cancellation.

I'm kind of intrigued by Under Covers. It looks like a lot of fun. And tangentially, I was trying to think of the last time we had a prime time network TV show with two black leads. I can't think of any.

The problem? It's being touted as "the new show from JJ Abrams." So far, Abrams has generally worked like a liberal activist (I am a liberal activist, so I know what I'm talking about). He comes up with an idea that sounds very appealing for a while but apparently never stops to think about where he's going to go from there. After a little while, it becomes clear that he's just making stuff up as he goes along. And then he quits and leaves other people holding the bag.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed

Old 09-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

Outsourced is one of the few I actually laughed at. That could be very funny if done right.

Friends with Benefits actually looks okay for the typical sitcom. I'm a big fan of that main actor Ryan Hansen from Veronica Mars + Party Down (Possibly the funniest show to ever be canceled after two 10 episode seasons.) Some funny jokes in there...

Other than that I think I'm sticking to Mad Men + Rubicon + Walking Dead on AMC. I'll also watch 30 Rock + Office whenever they come back along with How I Met Your Mother...though I kind of just want them to get to the point on that one so I can stop watching.

Bored to Death + Eastbound and Down are coming back as well on HBO. Those should be good. I'll always watch the Food Network shows like Chopped + Great Food Truck Race, and the new Top Chef about desserts. Is Dexter coming back this Fall?

Basically, I rarely take a chance on a new show until I keep hearing it's awesome from everyone. There's always a way to watch something later which I've done for most of the shows I now keep up with.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #4
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

This year is primed for me to find a new show. With the loss of 24 and Scrubs, and some other shows ending.

As it stands now, nothing really stands out to me this year, though may check out Friends with Benefits and Perfect Couples.

No Ordinary Family had potential, but just didn't care for the pilot.

Also Dexter is back... soon-ish I want to say next 3 weeks but could be mistaken.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 09-03-2010, 02:39 AM   #5
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
This year is primed for me to find a new show. With the loss of 24 and Scrubs, and some other shows ending.

As it stands now, nothing really stands out to me this year, though may check out Friends with Benefits and Perfect Couples.

No Ordinary Family had potential, but just didn't care for the pilot.

Also Dexter is back... soon-ish I want to say next 3 weeks but could be mistaken.
Wait the pilot already aired for No ordinary family?!

Oh and yeah, I purposely left off law and order because meh.

I'll get around to ABC, CBS and FOX soonish, but ABC isn't replacing too much stuff. Also if anyone knows about anything HBO etc, feel free to post up. I have no clue how their seasons work.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlyMoogle View Post
Wait the pilot already aired for No ordinary family?!

Oh and yeah, I purposely left off law and order because meh.

I'll get around to ABC, CBS and FOX soonish, but ABC isn't replacing too much stuff. Also if anyone knows about anything HBO etc, feel free to post up. I have no clue how their seasons work.
You can download the pilot for No Ordinary Family, though I hear its being re-worked already.

Quote:

Old 09-12-2010, 02:19 AM   #7
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

So just watched the pilot for No Ordinary Family. I thought it had a quirky family vibe but sure that will get old in a few episodes.

Anyway onto the Fox shows:

Raising Hope:

Not that funny. I did laugh at the carseat tossing around the car part though.

Running Wilde:

It's like they're extending one of those really shitty SNL style romance comedies into a series. GREAT!

Lonestar:

Like reminds me of that mormon show on HBO, only with heist styles.

Ride-Along:

Wow... Shitty Crime Drama again!

Bob's Burgers:

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="VIPl9RUPDxG7TV" width="425" height="339">

Parts of this trailer were hilarious. It's that witty odd cartoon comedy akin to like Home Movies and Dr. Katz. Funny because... Well it's made by the Dr. Katz people.

Mixed Signals:

So I'm amazed they crammed 3 boob jokes into a 3 minute promo. That's a boob joke a minute.

Fox was also supposed to premiere a show called Terra Nova, which had Spielburg's name attached to it. It's about this family, they travel back in time, to save the human race etc. Anyway they pushed it back until fall of 11, probably because spielburg saw the pilot and thought it was shit and tried to pull his name off. Just speculation. Doesn't exactly sound like a fun premise for a series now does it?

Old 09-12-2010, 02:52 AM   #8
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Ok... Time for ABC:

No Ordinary Family:

Uhm, this show is kinda quirky like I said. The pilot is available out there if you look for it.

Detroit 1-8-7:

Seriously, moar cop dramas. I can't believe people aren't sick of these yet? They keep watching them though.

Better Together:

This could either end up funny or terrible. It has the mom from that 70's show, so maybe funny.

The Whole Truth:

Uhm... Yeah ok. This looks boring. Maybe bond will enjoy.

My Generation:

Honestly I forgot about how much shit happened in the last 10 years, until the first part of this promo.

Body of Proof:

Some bitch, accident, can't be a hardass anymore, but finds a way to be one. DERP. Show looks dumb.

That's it for the main season, but mid-season shows include the return of V, and these 3 new shows:

Happy Endings:

This promo made me laugh. Seems quite a bit more in touch than some of this other shit.

Mr. Sunshine:

That kinda made me laugh.

Off the Map:

More medical dramaz. Meh.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:14 AM   #9
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Finally CBS:

Shit my Dad Says:

Derp, based off that twitter account. William Shatner is pretty funny though.

Mike and Molly:

Because Fat people need love too.

Hawaii 5-0:

Looks pretty good honestly. At least better than those other cop dramas. Obviously a remake of that old ass show.

The Defenders:

Jim Belushi is just a really likable guy. Show will probably suck.

Blue Bloods:

Cop Drama. I like tom selleck though.

Think CBS has some mid-season stuff planned too, but might be another Criminal Minds spin-off. Can't get enough information there though.

So yeah. Hope at least some good shows come up.

Also what is with the word bitch getting so popular? I think like half of the trailers up there used the word. Jeez.

Last edited by TheSlyMoogle : 09-12-2010 at 03:20 AM.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

I've heard there's a remake of La Femme Nikita with Maggie Q. Anybody know about this?

Old 09-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantar View Post
I've heard there's a remake of La Femme Nikita with Maggie Q. Anybody know about this?
I believe it started last week as is just called Nikita.

http://networkexposure.wordpress.com...ta-1-01-pilot/

Quote:

Old 09-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Im going to watch the one with Elisha Cuthbert. Nuff said.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #13
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

So Nikita is actually pretty good. Maggie Q is a perfectly plausible action hero (unlike most actresses who are going off a six week training program) who also speaks multiple foreign languages (her French in the second episode is quite good). The plot actually threw a couple twists I didn't see coming. And although the evil organization is clearly evil, some of the people working within it are more complex than they seem at first. Who knew that Tom Sawyer guy from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen could act effectively?

This show surprised the hell out of me, but I'm going to keep watching.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #14
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

So I might as well save you guys the trouble of seeing The Event and Chase. NBC has struck out with both of them. The Event seems to be an attempt to recreate Lost. The difference is even when Lost got stupid, it still had decently written and acted characters. Not so much with The Event. It's just a whole lot of people asking, "What's going on?!" while others intone "The truth is out there...but I can't tell you."

Meanwhile, Chase is a police procedural that's about as subtle as a two by four to the face. In fact, a couple too many blows to the head may explain how some of the characters act on the show. If a dangerous fugitive who has killed multiple people jumps into a river, the thing to do is not to jump in after him. Why not just stay high and dry on land and wait for him to tire out? The only reason the main characters survive is the guest characters are even dumber. It's sort of a new twist on police procedurals since it's all about chasing down a fugitive, but it offers no insight into how the U.S. Marshals do what they do.

Let's hope Under Covers fares better than this.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #15
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Checked out Hawaii 5 0 so far it seems like a decent show to kill hours if I find myself bored. And at least it isn't New York, Miami or Philly.

Quote: