Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: New Watchmen Trailer
Old 03-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #61
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12
Default Re: New Watchmen Trailer

They thought of Dr. Manhattan as punishing the world, and they say something to the effect that nobody will try anything again while they think he may be watching since they now believe he has the balls to blow shit up.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #62
Dyne
Or should I say.. smanger

Now Playing: Infinity Blade II, Duke Nukem Forever, Skyrim, Vanquish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylflon View Post
I forgot there'd be an extended version.

I think that will be the first blu-ray i ever buy.
I don't know how extended it will be. They just came out with a Watchmen Bluray with the entire Pirate story in animated form, as well as a whole Minutemen feature. I'm wondering if they'll release these again in the form of an ultimate director's cut along with the film and its deleted scenes?

This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...55&show=review

Old 03-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #63
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

And they released the whole motion comic last week as well

Old 03-11-2009, 04:11 AM   #64
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey

Also Dyne,

Don't a whole wack of the songs in the film represent quotes Allan Moore used in the Watchmen novel? He quoted a buttload of songs at the ends of various chapters.

In fact, I think he quoted 99 Luft Balloons at the end of a chapter...

Old 03-11-2009, 04:34 AM   #65
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
Reading the IGN review reminded me of something I thought about during the end of the movie, but completely forgot after which may make it a moot point, but still.

Mimicking Dr. M's powers made sense especially after snapping on live TV, but yeah why wouldn't the rest of the world view it as America's weapons gone rouge or wild. Why would other countries form up with the US? I can see them forming their own union to protect themselves, but really why include the US if responsible for this mess.

Yeah, that bothered me....and the music took me out of it...(except for 99 luft balloons...that increases the awesomeness of everything it touches)

...other than that a so-so action flick that wished it had more action and thus milked every scene a fist was thrown.

As a whole I didn't care for it. Was just cool seeing a few scenes played out...and the actors did a fine job.

Last edited by Teuthida : 03-11-2009 at 04:39 AM.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #66
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

One other thing that bothers mw when compared to the comic, is how they dehumanized Veidt. In the movie he never questions his actions, or doesn't until the last second, but in the book he openly weeps, expresses joy and then regret. I thought that would have been much more effective than the "comic book villain" they made him out to be in the movie. In the end, if you sympathize and feel more for the Comedian than you do for Veidt, you've failed that character.

I've never been orthodox in my books to movie transitions, but in this case I think the movie would have benefitted greatly from treating the end more like it was in the book, because in my opinion the end of the movie is what keeps this very affecting film from being a GREAT one that would have been remembered for changing superhero films even more than DK.

As for the actions sequences, though obligatory, I thought they added to the experience because it gave people an idea that these people were more than JUST troubled people in costumes, but were actual "heroes" which I think makes their tragic faults even more regrettable and gut wrenching. As I said before, the original Nite Owl was too much of a wuss and he needed a more masculine constumed side for his character to really work, IMO.

I'm still thinking about the movie days after it's release, and I'm eager to see it again, and I think that in itself says something for it. Hopefully they filmed an aletrnate, extended ending, and seeing how reverent Snyder was with the previous two acts, I wouldn't doubt the extended director's cut will have a slightly different and longer ending.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #67
DarkMaster
I am not a smart person

Now Playing: Life

Looking forward to that 3.5+ hour Watchmen DVD with all the added Black Freighter Animated story scenes, Hollis death, etc. All in all, I don't think a better movie adaptation of Watchmen could've been made. I mean really, you can get all nerded up and bicker about shit till the cow's come home, but at the end of the day, it was the bloody Watchmen in movie form and it rocked.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #68
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaster View Post
Looking forward to that 3.5+ hour Watchmen DVD with all the added Black Freighter Animated story scenes, Hollis death, etc. All in all, I don't think a better movie adaptation of Watchmen could've been made. I mean really, you can get all nerded up and bicker about shit till the cow's come home, but at the end of the day, it was the bloody Watchmen in movie form and it rocked.
I know will get some upset, probably not here, but they could have modernized it a bit. I mean some of the ideas are a bit dated or have been done to death in recent comic book movies, which is why I guess this does not stand out as much.

Also on Professor's point, and I hate to keep harping on the ending, but it removes a human element to it, I think. Sure we now have Nite Owl II witnessing the death of his friend, but in that we lose out on Veidt questioning his own decision, Dr. Manhatthan losing his final bite of humanity when he finds Silk Spectre/Nite Owl together, and well the carnage of the exploding beast instead of a bomb.

Due to the story being cut, we also lose the newsstand/customer hugging, we get the scene, but we don't know the characters. What's the point?

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 03-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #69
DarkMaster
I am not a smart person

Now Playing: Life

Well we'll get the newspaper dude/comic kid in the super extended ultimate edition, hopefully some more psychiatrist guy too, he was a cool character. I'm wondering if the extended cut of Watchmen will have a Kingdom of Heaven type of effect. And by that I mean, the theatrical version was so-so, and then the extra dvd footage brought the story together brilliantly and it was like watching a whole different movie (I'll take this opportunity to highly recommend the 4 hour extended edition of Kingdom of Heaven).

Old 03-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #70
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
I know will get some upset, probably not here, but they could have modernized it a bit. I mean some of the ideas are a bit dated or have been done to death in recent comic book movies, which is why I guess this does not stand out as much.

So wrong that it hurts.

Modernizing it would be a terrible idea. One of the main points is it being set in the cold war. Threat of nuclear annihilation.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #71
Dyne

I was worried they'd bring it even further back and dedicate the first half of the movie to the Minutemen fighting crime. Or even the Watchmen fighting crime. Eep.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #72
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaster View Post
Well we'll get the newspaper dude/comic kid in the super extended ultimate edition, hopefully some more psychiatrist guy too, he was a cool character. I'm wondering if the extended cut of Watchmen will have a Kingdom of Heaven type of effect. And by that I mean, the theatrical version was so-so, and then the extra dvd footage brought the story together brilliantly and it was like watching a whole different movie (I'll take this opportunity to highly recommend the 4 hour extended edition of Kingdom of Heaven).
This is what I'm hoping for as well. As it stands I think it's a very good and effective movie. But it could had been great. I suppose I'm lamenting it's potential, rather than the final execution of the film, which might be unfair but when you make a movie version of literature you have to expect this.

As for modernizing it, I can tell you it didn't feel dated to me at all. If anything, it brought back old/bad memories of the Cold War. Being the council elder on these boards, I have distinct memories of the Cold War and I think I was in the finaly elementary school classes to do the "sick your head between you legs and kiss your ass goodbye" drills.

Apart from the rediculous Nixon presidency addition, I thought tension was built quite well using the 80's as a period backdrop, a period that is rarely used.

I guess my biggest complaint with Snyder as director is that whenever he made changes to the source material, he seemed to go in the direction of satire, such as the absurd Nixon makeup and impersonator and overly detached and "perfect" Veidt. Watchmen is not an overtly satirical film, it is a grave warning against putting faith in those who would "protect" you. It seemed his changes made to transfer to film made the movie less human than it could have been.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #73
Thespis721
Duke

Now Playing: Ninja Gaiden 2

I saw the Watchmen movie, and, I don't know. I'm seeing it again because a friend has no one to go with, but I'm not sure if I liked it all that much. I felt it was a really great tribute movie, but as a film, I think it may fall flat.

I agree with BaB's point of losing humanity in the end. While I'm fine with the bomb instead of the squid, I think the handling of the ending was very displaced as if these choices were just drawn out. Veidt had as much humanity as Dr. Manhattan and I think that is wrong.

My major complaint, when it came down to it, is that comics and movies are different mediums and DIRECTLY translating one to the other is almost disrespectful for the forms. Godfather and Lord of the Rings were amazing books, however, they were also amazing movies because the director realized that they weren't making a motion comic, they were making a movie and made intelligent changes to make that amazing movie. But I don't think Snyder has that kind of directorial intelligence. Personally. And I liked 300 and Dawn of the Dead.

Finally, I disagree with the point that there could not be a better Watchmen translation. There are a lot of things in the movie that could have been fixed (like more focus on character work and having the actors make active choices). I'm not going to bitch about them till the "cows come home" but I refuse to believe that ANYTHING is the epitome of perfection.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #74
Dyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespis721 View Post
I saw the Watchmen movie, and, I don't know. I'm seeing it again because a friend has no one to go with, but I'm not sure if I liked it all that much. I felt it was a really great tribute movie, but as a film, I think it may fall flat.

I agree with BaB's point of losing humanity in the end. While I'm fine with the bomb instead of the squid, I think the handling of the ending was very displaced as if these choices were just drawn out. Veidt had as much humanity as Dr. Manhattan and I think that is wrong.

My major complaint, when it came down to it, is that comics and movies are different mediums and DIRECTLY translating one to the other is almost disrespectful for the forms. Godfather and Lord of the Rings were amazing books, however, they were also amazing movies because the director realized that they weren't making a motion comic, they were making a movie and made intelligent changes to make that amazing movie. But I don't think Snyder has that kind of directorial intelligence. Personally. And I liked 300 and Dawn of the Dead.

Finally, I disagree with the point that there could not be a better Watchmen translation. There are a lot of things in the movie that could have been fixed (like more focus on character work and having the actors make active choices). I'm not going to bitch about them till the "cows come home" but I refuse to believe that ANYTHING is the epitome of perfection.
You just proved the point that people will find anything to complain about.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #75
Thespis721
Duke

Now Playing: Ninja Gaiden 2

Thank you! I did prove that!

More to the point is that I am commenting on the idea that this is the best possible Watchman there ever could be. Everything has flaws, everything isn't perfect. And as long as that axiom exists, there is no such thing as "best ____ there ever could be".