Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series
Old 03-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #316
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12
Default Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series

Sean, I like it when you watch shows that I like. You always think about it a lot and make observations as keen as the people I know who are trained in the craft of film and film writing.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #317
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
If that is the case then it is better than Mad Men and Breaking Bad. The Walking Dead has the highest ratings in the history of the channel. Also, I highly recommend viewing the second half episodes. The show really turned around after Sofia got a bullet in her cute little zombie head. I'd call it a very good show. Not great, but still very good.
I got into an argument with someone over The Walking Dead's viewer ratings over at /r/TheWalkingDead on reddit. The guy claimed to be a writer for the show or something. He said, "I think this show is better than Breaking Bad...something something viewer ratings."

I said, "Two and a Half Men has more viewer ratings than both these shows, so ponder that."

Viewer ratings are sometimes a sad reflection...as in the case of something like Jersey Shore. And it's all about money anyway.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #318
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
What's up with the new guy though? I thought his leg was impaled by a fence? Did I miss something? That guy should be out of commission for like 3 months, there's no way you walk after that.
Not that I expect the show to make any sense, but that part was terrible. The guy's 10cm knee got impaled by a 5cm hooked spike. They're talking about amputating it which made sense. Then because they're in a hurry, they jerk the leg free, against the hooks? Even if a person had the strength to pull a leg free, the leg would be destroyed. You could probably cut the last pieces of flesh and the leg would fall off.
But noooo, forget about that amputation part. The guy gets an operation and the next moment he walks around again.

Talking about super human strength: since when do knives go through skulls so easily?

Aaanyway, that kid is getting scary. He encourages his dad to kill a living human. He plays around a zombie, which then kills the only guy in the group with some conscience left.

So what do you guys think will happen to the hostage? I personally think it's time to leave the farm and move on. I know it won't happen, now that Winter Is Coming, but it would be good for the show. I'm so tired of that farm and the same old whiny people.
So they should take Maggie, hit the road again and drop off the hostage hundreds of miles from the farm.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #319
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

The only explanation that makes any sense to me is that the show jumped forward a month or two after that night at the bar.

It kind of makes sense as Hershel has suddenly warmed up to Glenn as well.

They didn't do a very good job communicating the time frame though.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #320
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Didn't Hershel say he'd be walking again in a week?

A part of me hates it when series/movies skip so much time. Especially when they don't communicate it well. How hard is it to put in a line like "this kid has been recovering from his broken leg for a month now, we need to get rid of him"?

Oh about the kid (does he have a name btw?), when he was creeping up on the hostage, I was actually afraid he was going to kill him personally.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #321
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
But noooo, forget about that amputation part. The guy gets an operation and the next moment he walks around again.

So wait.
Zombies and the living dead = "Yeah, alright."
Guy able to walk on crippled leg = "Woah woah woah, that's not realistic."
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #322
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
So wait.
Zombies and the living dead = "Yeah, alright."
Guy able to walk on crippled leg = "Woah woah woah, that's not realistic."
There's a difference, and it's pretty obvious.

The zombies are supposed to exist in our world, not a made up one where people have hyper healing powers.

It's the same dumb argument when people say Mass Effect has realistic graphics, and some guy comes in, "Woah woah waoh, realistic!? There's aliens!"

Obviously not the same kind of realism.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #323
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
There's a difference, and it's pretty obvious.

The zombies are supposed to exist in our world, not a made up one where people have hyper healing powers.

It's the same dumb argument when people say Mass Effect has realistic graphics, and some guy comes in, "Woah woah waoh, realistic!? There's aliens!"

Obviously not the same kind of realism.
But it has wooden animation...

That aside, fairly certain there was two mentions of time jumps this week and last.

First, I believe was at the start of the last episode with Shane and Rick, and believe they mentioned a week or so has passed.

Actually, may be mistaken on this week's since seems to continue from the end of last week's. So nevermind the second one

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #324
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

ME animation is really terrible. Why they can't pay a third party company to make pre-rendered sex scenes is beyond me. They are so hilarious and awkward. Saps any credibility the scene may have had.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #325
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

When Carl jacked that gun, I was for sure that he would keep that gun on him and a certain storyline from the comics would finally be set up to play out. You guys know what I'm talkin bout.

But then he lost the gun. But now I'm not even sure if I want that thing to happen.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #326
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:

I'd say that's a little difference because graphical quality of a video game and Universal canon of a comic book-turned-TV-show are a little different things to comparatively debate.

I know what you're getting at with that...but you're supposed to suspend disbelief for both things...

The aliens in ME don't bother (general) you, because your disbelief is suspended considering you're a space ninja trying to save the Universe. But in Walking Dead, the zombies are your aliens, so to suddenly go "woah woah, that dude shouldn't be able to walk on that leg" seems a little nit-picky, when the Universe is full of zombie-aliens from space.

But if they said time passed, then that solved that.
Even though I'm defending the side of "it seems silly to pick on that part", I don't remember them even saying time had passed, or when they said it, or how much time was supposed to have passed. :s

Edit: Also Carl is starting to piss me off. Fucking dumb kid. I'm with Shane now. Ever since he said "stop looking for ways to get yourself killed, man." That kid is just fascinated with shotgun deer and mudzombies with guns.

"Alright guys, we've got like 10 minutes to fill for the next episode. What can we do there? Can Lori complain about something?
"No, no. She's already complained for 8 minutes."
"What about Shane? Can we get some closeups on his crazy face?"
"No...no. That's how we started and ended the other 5 episodes."
"Fuck, okay. Can we get Rick to do some down to earth monologue?"
'The guy who writes Rick is in the bathroom."
"Fuck. Just make Carl...I don't know...make him stare at a fucking zombie or something. I don't care. We need an episode."

Old 03-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #327
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

That's my second biggest complaint about the show: nothing happens. Half of the show is filler.
(If you're curious: the biggest complaint is how illogical and stupid everything/everybody is.)

Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #328
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
That's my second biggest complaint about the show: nothing happens. Half of the show is filler.
(If you're curious: the biggest complaint is how illogical and stupid everything/everybody is.)

I wasn't really ripping on you. You're allowed to complain about the things you like. And I'm with you on the filler bit.

But I think a lot of what people today see as filler, people of 30 years ago would see as "setting the mood", and "ambiance". Michael Bay has effected too many things, and in turn a lot of people expect action all the time.

What drew me to the show to begin with was the slow pacing. It reminded me of old 'survival horror' shows. Where it was about suspense and personal thought of "Holy fuck, what's going to happen" rather than "Holy fuck, I can't believe I'm watching all of this happen."

But I even cut them slack if it is legitimate filler, just because while they're professional writers, I imagine it would be hard to write 48 minutes of white-knuckle-intensity every week. You need some plot set-up, and some character development, or mood development thrown around in there. It can't all be explosions and guts.

Also, as for them acting illogically during the end of the world- what is a logical way to act during the coming zombie apocalypse?

Old 03-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #329
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

I think a lot of the "filler" is intentional. In the book, there are LONG stretches of dialogue, group norming, and just life in general in this new world. These are intentional to make the instances of extreme violence even more effective.

On a side note, who thinks the Governor is coming soon?

Old 03-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #330
Swan
Hey It's AIDS

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
I think a lot of the "filler" is intentional. In the book, there are LONG stretches of dialogue, group norming, and just life in general in this new world. These are intentional to make the instances of extreme violence even more effective.

On a side note, who thinks the Governor is coming soon?
Governor has been cast for third season already.