Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Old 03-05-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Default Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE2ItGe4CUc

It is like new trailer week, I assume this one and Terminator will most likely be attached to the Watchmen movie.

Looks good. But rather different from the book.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Old 03-06-2009, 05:49 AM   #2
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

when the hell is hermione going to get naked.

Oh shit, that was a freudian slip

*back away slowwwwllly....*

Old 03-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
jeepnut
Mr. Sarcasm

Now Playing:

It's gotta be better than the fifth one right? Right? Please tell me it will be.

"Truth is not determined by a majority vote." - Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI Putting the smackdown on heresy since 1981
"Abortion is mean." - Rock For Life
"Remember men, we're all in the same boat - and women are on the shore, laughing." - Red Green

Old 03-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
GameMaster
★★★

Now Playing:

Interesting Fact: The Director of Industry Relations at my school came into our class yesterday to have a little talk with us (she used to work in the movie biz).

And during the talk, the topic of Harry Potter came up because she was talking about how movie dates are pretty much set in stone. Because when the big movies choose their release dates, other big movies want to avoid releasing on the same day because then both sides lose money battling for ticket sales.

However, on the very rare occasion when a date is pushed back, it's only because of money, never production. If they're running behind on post-production or something, they just hire as many people as they need to finish by the release date.

So this lady that came in yesterday told us that the only reason Harry Potter was pushed back from winter '08 to summer '09 is because Dark Knight had made soooo much money that Warner Bros. had met and exceeded their fiscal profit goal for the year. And they wanted to save Harry Potter (another cash-cow) for 2009 to help them meet the fiscal profit goal for '09.

So Harry Potter probably was finished and complete this past winter. Ideally, they've been spending this extra ~6 months polishing it.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameMaster View Post
Interesting Fact: The Director of Industry Relations at my school came into our class yesterday to have a little talk with us (she used to work in the movie biz).

And during the talk, the topic of Harry Potter came up because she was talking about how movie dates are pretty much set in stone. Because when the big movies choose their release dates, other big movies want to avoid releasing on the same day because then both sides lose money battling for ticket sales.

However, on the very rare occasion when a date is pushed back, it's only because of money, never production. If they're running behind on post-production or something, they just hire as many people as they need to finish by the release date.

So this lady that came in yesterday told us that the only reason Harry Potter was pushed back from winter '08 to summer '09 is because Dark Knight had made soooo much money that Warner Bros. had met and exceeded their fiscal profit goal for the year. And they wanted to save Harry Potter (another cash-cow) for 2009 to help them meet the fiscal profit goal for '09.

So Harry Potter probably was finished and complete this past winter. Ideally, they've been spending this extra ~6 months polishing it.
I pretty much knew that about Harry Potter.
And also Warner Bros feel like they found the sweet spot since Potter is releasing the same weekend as TDK did so they are expecting similar results.

Quote:

Old 03-12-2009, 02:33 AM   #6
KillerGremlin
No Pants

They should recast all the scenes with Hermione then since she's 6 months older.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/har...lfbloodprince/

The newest trailer.
For anyone who has read the book or is even half way intelligent, it does show a lot of the climax.

Quote:

Old 04-18-2009, 05:15 AM   #8
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Uhm yup it does. But you know what I realized? I don't remember shit about the 6th book because it was terrible. I read it once and don't think I ever picked it up again. The funny thing is I even re-read the 7th book over the christmas break because I was bored. I went on to read the other 5 but didn't touch the 6th one at all. What a terrible terrible book. Movie is shaping up to be kinda ok hopefully. I hate the movies because they stray so far from the books I love, but whatever.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlyMoogle View Post
Uhm yup it does. But you know what I realized? I don't remember shit about the 6th book because it was terrible. I read it once and don't think I ever picked it up again. The funny thing is I even re-read the 7th book over the christmas break because I was bored. I went on to read the other 5 but didn't touch the 6th one at all. What a terrible terrible book. Movie is shaping up to be kinda ok hopefully. I hate the movies because they stray so far from the books I love, but whatever.
I dislike the 5th and 6th book.
The 5th book because Harry spends most of his time whining.
And the 6th book for pretty much the reason you stated, its like she reached a point where she knew she had 7 books to write, and even had a story, but the 6th book was just used to get everything in place for the 7th book.
I mean the Half Blood Prince storyline I thought was kind of a wash, and hardly touched on afterwards.
And they had to come up with a way for Harry to defeat Voldermont.

Quote:

Old 04-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
I dislike the 5th and 6th book.
The 5th book because Harry spends most of his time whining.
And the 6th book for pretty much the reason you stated, its like she reached a point where she knew she had 7 books to write, and even had a story, but the 6th book was just used to get everything in place for the 7th book.
I mean the Half Blood Prince storyline I thought was kind of a wash, and hardly touched on afterwards.
And they had to come up with a way for Harry to defeat Voldermont.
To be honest I don't even remember the half-blood prince thing really. Something about a potions book maybe?

Old 04-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

Not to mention Ginny is really damn annoying.

I agree 6th is worst in the series. I wasn't sure about the 5th one, because Harry was extremely emo, but it was supposed to be because of Voldemort infiltrating his mind or something.

7th one was very good and enjoyable, though I kinda missed the spirit of being at Hogwarts.

1 - 4 will always be the best for me.

I like the style the director has taken with the 5th and sixth movies, though. Impossible to follow them if you don't know the story beforehand, but who goes to watch these movies that doesn't?

Old 04-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #12
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlyMoogle View Post
To be honest I don't even remember the half-blood prince thing really. Something about a potions book maybe?
Yeah a spell book for a class that Harry finds in which a student creates some of his own spells and crap... turns out to be Snape.

Quote:

Old 04-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
KillerGremlin
No Pants

I'm sure some of the Harry Potter magic was lost on us as we all grew up, but yeah, the latter books in the series are pretty terrible. I read the first 5 and never gave a shit enough to get around to read the 6th or 7th. Probably will reread the series at some point...like too my future kids, haha. Harry is a whiny bitch and the books have an incredibly predictable formula.

Formula:

Harry starts out at his foster house, there are problems > Harry prepares to go to Hogwarts (usually some intermediate step takes place) > Harry goes to Hogwarts, life sucks > Problem ensues (usually theme of book) > Harry fights with his close friends and becomes emo bitch > Harry makes up with close friends they solve problem > Harry leaves to go home for summer

Rinse. Repeat. Make a lot of money if you're JK Rowling.

Understandably, they ARE kid books. So we shouldn't expect top-notch literature per se. Also, Dumbledore is a homosexual. Take that Christians against Harry Potter!!!

Old 04-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
manasecret
aka George Washington

Now Playing: CSS

I liked all the books except number one. I liked them for the mystery of it all, trying to figure out by the end of the book who really did what and was behind it all. And you could figure it out, if you paid careful attention, because all the clues were always there.

That said, I liked book six a lot, mainly for the ending and the Snape controversy. Also, finally getting tons of revelations is fun for me.

But I've never gotten too deep into the books. I just read them all once for fun and then moved on. I think the most boring one for me was the one with all the Quidditch crap at the start and then throughout -- book 5 I think.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

I like the Potter movies, as they seem to progress with each one being part of the whole, and the darkening tone of the series to match the adulthood of the characters has been appreciated.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the movies, but I have not read the books, so please try not to spoil too much of the plot.