Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series
Old 02-28-2012, 04:14 AM   #301
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Default Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series

So since what I'm about to say has already basically been written differently in the show from the comics, I'm not sure this is really spoilerz... But whatever spoiler tags anyway.
I hate what they've done to Andrea. One of the better characters in the comic, and they've ruined her. I wasn't around for the first season of the show when you guys started this thread and I don't feel like digging back into it, but I'll take this time to say FUCK IT to the last episode of season 1. It was so god awful, and it setup this whole silly fucking Andrea thing that's going on now. "OH I WANTED TO DIE" "OH NO DON'T KILL YOURSELF!" If they hadn't added that last fucking episode none of this shit would even be going on and it's pointless anyway. I would have much preferred they just get on with the whole Andrea and Dale fall in love in the zombie apocalypse despite their age differences bullshit, instead of this shit here. FUCK!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #302
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

After talking with Dylan [owns all the comics] last night about the show, it seems to be it's more of a "What if" Universe. As in "What if some of these characters acted nothing like they did in the comic." (I'd be very pleased if I never saw another "this character was better in the comic" comment. I'm sure they were, but it's not like Game of Thrones. It is not a re-creation. It is a re-imagining.)

I will back up the reason I find it so ridiculous to complain about it, which is that since the person who created the comics and the show said they are in no way connected, that should immediately break all expectations and comparisons between the two.

Anyways, the only real gripe I have with last episode was the filler with that horrible actress horribly acting out her horribly written dialogue about wanting to die. That was some of the most painful acting I've seen in my entire life.

Unless it's like some big meta-joke. All the parts with the women are boring and written horribly, and are super slow-paced loads of shit; and all the parts with the guys are super well-writte, well-acted action-packed dude-fests.

But really, though. That chicks acting was almost as bad as watching "The Situation" on The Roast of Donald Trump. It wasn't enough to make me hate the episode as a whole, the parts with Rick and Shane are tooooooooooo great.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #303
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

After the first season or early in the second I gave up comparing the show to the comic. They are completely different entities. Which is good, because now I can enjoy it (as much as one can) and be surprised by everything that happens. Before I was just watching things play out in a much worse way than how they happened in the book.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #304
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

In this case, the comparison to the comic is being made because their are strong female roles in the comic, whereas in this case the TV show has almost taken a sexist path in the portrayal of the women.

Frankly, if I was a female viewer of the show, I might feel a bit alienated.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #305
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
In this case, the comparison to the comic is being made because their are strong female roles in the comic, whereas in this case the TV show has almost taken a sexist path in the portrayal of the women.

No basically all I mean was if I was a female who had read the comics and then started watching the show, I would just say fuck it to the whole thing.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #306
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
I told this to my mother-dearest and she said [She loves the show, by the way. Never missed an episode.]:

"Not alienated at all. Look at that strong blonde chick there that got kicked out of the house for sticking to her beliefs. And the strong opinionated pregnant woman - she is you know, taking care of the household, and her own son while the guys are away. And she's trying to keep that crazy guy in check. And make sure her husband knows she's for him. All while being pregnant."

So you know.
Female perspective and all.
Don't look at the female characters as a man. Look at them as if you're a woman in a man's world.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #307
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

I don't see how the women are worse than most of the men in this show. They all act equally stupid.

Although I have yet to see the episodes since the winter break.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #308
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

Old 03-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #309
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

The zombies don't do as much moaning as you guys, that's for sure.

I probably won't keep reading this thread since it's populated by a bunch of negative nancies who expect the show to fulfill all of their expectations and preconceptions.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #310
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylflon View Post

I probably won't keep reading this thread since it's populated by a bunch of negative nancies who expect the show to fulfill all of their expectations and preconceptions.
Well, I've never read the comics, so I have no expectations or preconditions, and I can still honestly say the writing on the show is really bad 90% of the time.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #311
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylflon View Post

I with this forum had a "like" button. The show is a good show, which is shown by the ratings, and everyone's CONTINUED choice to keep watching even though all we do is seem to complain. If we choose to complain, that means we care about the show. The only real negative the show has right now is that it is viewed largely by internet hyper-nerds who find more pleasure in tearing it down than giving it the credit it deserves (and no, I'm not talking about us. We're kind compared to some). Yes, I've been critical, but since the end of the first half of this season I don't see a whole lot to intensely criticize.

1) No point in comparing this to the comic. As shown with last night's episode, they are not following the exact plot from the books. If you let go of the comics when watching, you'll get a lot more enjoyment.

2) These main characters are archetypes at this point. So many of them that they need to fit roles, or aspects of humanity, rather than be full fledged characters unto themselves. None of them are well fleshed out, because each one is a part of a whole.

To the feminist argument: During an apocalypse the academic ideal of what we should be disappears. We become who we are. No one is really thinking about being a role model. They are trying to survive and find any kind of comfort wherever they can so they don't go insane. If you are a mother you might retreat to your role as a provider to your husband and son. If you are a woman who lost everything, you may become attached to the "alpha male" and learn how to sharp shoot. If you are a young woman trapped on a farm you may find comfort in banging a small asian boy in a pharmacy. If anything, I think the female characters are far more nuanced than their male counterparts.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #312
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

The death last night was such a bummer.

I know I just bitched at people for comparing the show to the comics but I'm sad Dale is gone because of the role he served in the group in the comics. He would basically observe the group as a whole and knew when someone was dealing with something they didn't want to talk about or felt they couldn't talk about.

Then he would go and talk to them about it and offer advice. I really liked that about his character and am sad the group won't have that in the show moving forward.

As for the feminist argument, even though I am an equal rights kind of guy, there is absolutely no way I would encourage the women of the group to spend time away from whatever area was deemed to be the safest. It's not about whether or not they can handle themselves, or being empowered or whatever. It's about maintaining the ability reproduce. In times of collapse, women are the most valuable asset if anyone has hope of keeping humanity going.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #313
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

Wow spoliers.....

I will say this. I'm not bugged too much by the writing, but I find myself struggling to keep interest in the show. I Have the new episodes from the break all recorded. Just no motivation to watch them. And isn't a shows ability to attract watchers the benchmark?

Old 03-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #314
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox 6 View Post
I will say this. I'm not bugged too much by the writing, but I find myself struggling to keep interest in the show. I Have the new episodes from the break all recorded. Just no motivation to watch them. And isn't a shows ability to attract watchers the benchmark?
If that is the case then it is better than Mad Men and Breaking Bad. The Walking Dead has the highest ratings in the history of the channel. Also, I highly recommend viewing the second half episodes. The show really turned around after Sofia got a bullet in her cute little zombie head. I'd call it a very good show. Not great, but still very good.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #315
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
Not great, but still very good.

I wouldn't call it "great" when compared to an actual show which is attempting to portray real life (or a re-enactment of a real-life scenario), [I would call it great as a show - but I can't call it great when compared to Breaking Bad, yet each show is equally entertaining.] but it seems to me (Maybe it's just me justifying the bad acting/writing this way) like the show is written and acted like a comic book. There's a lot of one-liners in there, and visual moments that would lend well to a panel or two. A lot of under-the-breath comments you'd expect from a comic, rather than having the person just think it in their head.
It just seems to me like occasionally in all the good writing and good acting, they throw in some campy homage to comic books and the genre in general, or maybe directly to the comic itself.

But the thing is, I really don't mind it. Even if that's not at all the case - it works for me.

And (I believe it was Strangie) who said they're not supposed to be "real" characters yet, they're archtypes of human emotion/humanity. I think that became abundantly clear last episode (If it hadn't been already) with Dale.

I also loved the highly metaphorical scene of everyone contemplating killing the kid in a democratic fashion, while only Dale was the voice of reason. Everyone is okay to have the boy die, but nobody is willing to stand around and watch. So when Dale is laying there ripped open by a walker on the ground, they all gathered around to watch him be murdered (essentially), while nobody talked about if it was the right decision or not. Because when you know, you just know. Not to mention the beauty juxtaposition between them all fearing the living tied-up child. while the only person who doesn't fear him wanders off and is torn open by the real danger, while they were all contemplating murder.