Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Politics

Thank God they didn't win!
Old 02-23-2017, 11:48 PM   #1
Seth
wants a yacht

Now Playing: BF4, PubG, MrioKrt7, CS:GO, BF1942, AssettoCorsa
Default Thank God they didn't win!

Any personal opinions about Obamacare?

I'm a Canadian so I'd like some opinions from the south.

Re: Thank God they didn't win!
Old 02-25-2017, 08:58 AM   #2
BlueFire
The World Ends with Poo

Now Playing: Brawl
Default Re: Thank God they didn't win!

It's far from a perfect law, but it's far better than the alternative that Republicans have proposed... which is nothing.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
Seth
wants a yacht

The amount of people in Canada waiting for surgery and other medical procedures is staggering.

I feel like our system here is grossly inefficient.
I pay a large portion of my income tax into this pool. I also have to pay a medical service premium each month of $75.

If it was legal in Canada to operate a private medical practice then I wouldn't mind these baseline net payments (adjusted to the supply demand effect). Because the health care system here is so shitty, Canadians pay into it their whole lives and many travel to the US or Mexico for their medical services which financially sucks and botched medical services in Mexico are worrisome.

I used to believe what Tommy Douglas did in Canada for health care was monumentally progressive, and overall a good thing. My family votes NDP lol

1 in 2 Canadians will have cancer shortly. I personally believe there needs to be behavioural checks of the financial variety so that people don't develop bad lifestyle habits simply because the taught repercussions are assuaged by the knowledge that healthcare comes free.

When I heard Sanders debate Ted Cruz (I watched the whole debate) it really hit home how fucked up Obamacare is.
He would have a woman who owns multiple hair salons to pay her employees' healthcare even if it means she'd have to put more employees on part time and shut down a shop because her business model would fail. Bernie considered her part of affluent America. This women, whose profit margin is inadequate to cover the rising premium fees, is expected to either stay small, not hiring more employees, or literally shut down her business / declare bankruptcy so people with their unmitigated health risk indicators get what amounts to a free pass.

The Republicans have proposed federal wide insurance competition so that people can pick and choose the health care options they want. I come from a province that monopolized electrical utitilies and auto insurance. Because of this our rates suck and our 'crown corporations' get kickbacks when they net profits. The corruption is huge. I'm waiting for the price of housing and land to drop a bit more in Alberta and I'm thinking i'm going to make that province my primary residence.

Dr Ben Carson's suggestion of a privately held savings fund makes the most sense to me. Everyone is required to pay into their own healthcare fund. If they don't end up using it, they can spend it and the accrued interest however they please.

As a Canadian, and witness to the European public health care models, I'm totally behind the private American model that doesn't force people into an arbitrary monthly payment that then delivers less quality per dollar.

Non of our dental in Canada is covered.

I think a lot of you, if you moved up here and became familiar with the taxation in Canada you'd say fuck it and move back to America.

If our governments did like Japan's, and not allow Aspartame into the market, then yes, under that public health structure a public health care system would make sense.

As it stands, FDA approvals and bans serve special interests that run contrary to the public health model.

but ya, just my canadian perspective

I would prefer to pay into a health insurance policy because I work hard and can afford it. If I'm injured at work, I'm covered under the WCB

The other option is putting ridiculous taxes on the tobacco and simple sugar processed foods as well as anything containing MSG variants and other known carcinogens. Doesn't make sense to allow harmful consumer options and not put a casualty tax on it. ....at least with public health care.

Last edited by Seth : 02-25-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

I cant take anything that guy says in the video seriously due to one line he states about 50 seconds in: "I have been extremely vocal about my support of Donald Trump". Call me shallow, a Lib Tard, whatever. Disagree with the Policies of a Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton? OK. Thats one thing, I can understand that. Support Donald Trump? A man who brags about sexually assulting women, Makes up facts, Tweets things that are completely false... Just yesterday he tweets that Obama hacked into his phone lines without any Proof what so ever. Sorry, Donald Trump is a joke and a sorry excuse for a human being, and I would have to seriously doubt the intelligence of anyone who honestly thinks otherwise.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
BlueFire
The World Ends with Poo

Now Playing: Brawl

I can't really comment on the substance of Trump's policy initiatives since he hasn't had the chance to accomplish much thus far. That being said, I have to wonder if his administration is a ticking bomb with regard to the Russian interference shit. Michael Flynn having to resign was a HUGE deal and I feel like the majority of his supporters act like it wasn't. And now Jeff Sessions is embroiled in this mess, too.

I'm uncomfortable with his war with the media. Yes, it's no secret that a lot of mainstream media outlets are biased, but attacking the media for reporting events or statements that he said is retarded. It's obvious that it's a ploy to mobilize his base and keep them overly skeptical of the media while trusting his every word.

Sorry, Seth, didn't mean to detract from your original posts. I just wanted to reply/add to Jason's posts. I have my thoughts on our healthcare situation, too, but I'll save that for another time.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
Seth
wants a yacht