Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Re: First Presidential Debate
Old 10-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #46
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds
 
Professor S's Avatar
 
Professor S is offline
Location: Mount Penn, PA
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Posts: 6,608
Default Re: First Presidential Debate

Is anyone watching the debate? I'm not, but I'm curious.
__________________
  Reply With Quote

Re: First Presidential Debate
Old 10-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #47
TheGame
The Greatest One
 
TheGame's Avatar
 
TheGame is offline
Location: Bakersfield CA
Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions
Posts: 3,411
Default Re: First Presidential Debate

Watched it. Obama won as I expected. Mitt's biggest failure in the 2nd debate was forgein policy, and he just continued it tonight. He sounded like a completely different guy then I expected though... just agreed on forgein policy, and tried to drag it to the economy.
__________________
"I have been saying this for some time, but customers are not interested in grand games with higher-quality graphics and sound and epic stories,"-Hiroshi Yamauchi
I AM TheGame, and I am THAT DAMN GOOD
  Reply With Quote

Re: First Presidential Debate
Old 10-23-2012, 01:27 AM   #48
BreakABone
Living Legend
 
BreakABone's Avatar
 
BreakABone is offline
Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Posts: 10,277
Default Re: First Presidential Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame View Post
Watched it. Obama won as I expected. Mitt's biggest failure in the 2nd debate was forgein policy, and he just continued it tonight. He sounded like a completely different guy then I expected though... just agreed on forgein policy, and tried to drag it to the economy.
To be fair, they both tried to bring it back home as often as they could.

I mean where Obama led was that Romney couldn't really disagree with a lot of his stances, and the ones he did he couldn't articulate well or would open the President up to an easy counter-attack like his battleship comment.
__________________

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away
  Reply With Quote

Re: First Presidential Debate
Old 10-23-2012, 03:36 AM   #49
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b
 
Teuthida's Avatar
 
Teuthida is offline
Location: Sol 3
Now Playing: with power
Posts: 6,453
Default Re: First Presidential Debate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar...ther_countries

That's nuts.
__________________
Sketch Blog
  Reply With Quote

Re: First Presidential Debate
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #50
Bond
Cheesehead
 
Bond's Avatar
 
Bond is offline
Location: Midwest
Now Playing:
Posts: 9,314
Default Re: First Presidential Debate

I really see no substantive differences between the two on foreign policy. I don't think the debate changed anything.
  Reply With Quote

Re: First Presidential Debate
Old 10-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #51
TheGame
The Greatest One
 
TheGame's Avatar
 
TheGame is offline
Location: Bakersfield CA
Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions
Posts: 3,411
Default Re: First Presidential Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
I really see no substantive differences between the two on foreign policy. I don't think the debate changed anything.
There was a big difference back when the republican primaries were going on. As you stated earlier in the thread, Obama's team needs to capitalize on the fact that Mitt is a flip flopper.

With that said, I still agree with you.. I don't think this changed anything. People generally don't care about forgien policy as much as they did in the last 2 elections. It would have changed things if Mitt clearly won, but he didn't. To me the clear favorite to win is still Obama.
__________________
"I have been saying this for some time, but customers are not interested in grand games with higher-quality graphics and sound and epic stories,"-Hiroshi Yamauchi
I AM TheGame, and I am THAT DAMN GOOD
  Reply With Quote

Re: First Presidential Debate
Old 10-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #52
TheGame
The Greatest One
 
TheGame's Avatar
 
TheGame is offline
Location: Bakersfield CA
Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions
Posts: 3,411
Default Re: First Presidential Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
To be fair, they both tried to bring it back home as often as they could.

I mean where Obama led was that Romney couldn't really disagree with a lot of his stances, and the ones he did he couldn't articulate well or would open the President up to an easy counter-attack like his battleship comment.
True.
__________________
"I have been saying this for some time, but customers are not interested in grand games with higher-quality graphics and sound and epic stories,"-Hiroshi Yamauchi
I AM TheGame, and I am THAT DAMN GOOD
  Reply With Quote

Re: First Presidential Debate
Old 10-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #53
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds
 
Professor S's Avatar
 
Professor S is offline
Location: Mount Penn, PA
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Posts: 6,608
Default Re: First Presidential Debate

Reading a lot of the recaps, I think Romney played it safe for a reason. The third debate got the fewest number of viewers of the three. The Romney team believes that the race will be won by the final advertising push over these next few weeks, and they didn't want to give Pres. Obama anything provocative to exploit in an ad or by the media.

In the end, Romney attacked most and shined most in his comfort zone, the economy, and avoided any pitfalls by tying his foreign policies to those shared by Pres. Obama (basically nullifying any advantage).
__________________
  Reply With Quote

Re: First Presidential Debate
Old 10-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #54
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds
 
Professor S's Avatar
 
Professor S is offline
Location: Mount Penn, PA
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Posts: 6,608
Default Re: First Presidential Debate

Yeeeaaaaahhhh.... about that unemployment thing....

__________________
  Reply With Quote

Re: First Presidential Debate
Old 10-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #55
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67
 
Fox 6's Avatar
 
Fox 6 is offline
Location: B.C. Canada
Now Playing: Xbox 360
Posts: 5,055
Default Re: First Presidential Debate

Every American should try to make this happen. Best of both worlds.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...llege-tie.html
__________________
  Reply With Quote

Re: First Presidential Debate
Old 10-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #56
TheGame
The Greatest One
 
TheGame's Avatar
 
TheGame is offline
Location: Bakersfield CA
Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions
Posts: 3,411
Default Re: First Presidential Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
Reading a lot of the recaps, I think Romney played it safe for a reason. The third debate got the fewest number of viewers of the three. The Romney team believes that the race will be won by the final advertising push over these next few weeks, and they didn't want to give Pres. Obama anything provocative to exploit in an ad or by the media.

In the end, Romney attacked most and shined most in his comfort zone, the economy, and avoided any pitfalls by tying his foreign policies to those shared by Pres. Obama (basically nullifying any advantage).
Lol, Romney lost the third debate.. period. All this down playing is amusing though.

-EDIT-

Just watched that video. Unless the unemployment rate spiked, all of those 'firings' don't really mean much.
__________________
"I have been saying this for some time, but customers are not interested in grand games with higher-quality graphics and sound and epic stories,"-Hiroshi Yamauchi
I AM TheGame, and I am THAT DAMN GOOD

Last edited by TheGame : 10-25-2012 at 09:45 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Re: First Presidential Debate
Old 10-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #57
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds
 
Professor S's Avatar
 
Professor S is offline
Location: Mount Penn, PA
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Posts: 6,608
Default Re: First Presidential Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame View Post
Lol, Romney lost the third debate.. period. All this down playing is amusing though.
It's not about winning debates, it's about winning the election, and polls continue to tighten in swing states even after Romney "lost" the last two debates. Momentum for Romney has slowed a bit, but it is still with his campaign. In fact, if current polls remain stable and momentum dies all together, Romney is likely to win the popular vote but get "Al Gored" and lose the electoral college and presidency. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for a second term...
__________________
  Reply With Quote

Re: First Presidential Debate
Old 10-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #58
TheGame
The Greatest One
 
TheGame's Avatar
 
TheGame is offline
Location: Bakersfield CA
Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions
Posts: 3,411
Default Re: First Presidential Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
It's not about winning debates, it's about winning the election, and polls continue to tighten in swing states even after Romney "lost" the last two debates. Momentum for Romney has slowed a bit, but it is still with his campaign. In fact, if current polls remain stable and momentum dies all together, Romney is likely to win the popular vote but get "Al Gored" and lose the electoral college and presidency. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for a second term...
You're right, it's about being elected. You don't think the polls would have ended up any differently if Romney/Ryan would have 'won' the last 3 debates? They didn't win, and that's just one of the reasons why they're still sitting behind and likely won't win the election.

I'm not saying Romney didn't have his reasons for his preformance in the 3rd debate, just like Obama may have had his reasons for the 1st one. It's just that an L is an L... no matter what, Romney/Ryan could be potentially doing better if they would have won.

Also to clarify, I was referrng to the downplay by mainstream media, not nessicarily by you. It's just funny how they try to look at all the positives of a loss when they want to keep things close and interesting. Since Obama came into the debates much futher ahead, the media was quick to paint him as a loser so that things would be closer and look more unpredictable.
__________________
"I have been saying this for some time, but customers are not interested in grand games with higher-quality graphics and sound and epic stories,"-Hiroshi Yamauchi
I AM TheGame, and I am THAT DAMN GOOD
  Reply With Quote

Re: First Presidential Debate
Old 11-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #59
TheGame
The Greatest One
 
TheGame's Avatar
 
TheGame is offline
Location: Bakersfield CA
Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions
Posts: 3,411
Default Re: First Presidential Debate

__________________
"I have been saying this for some time, but customers are not interested in grand games with higher-quality graphics and sound and epic stories,"-Hiroshi Yamauchi
I AM TheGame, and I am THAT DAMN GOOD
  Reply With Quote

Re: First Presidential Debate
Old 11-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #60
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds
 
Professor S's Avatar
 
Professor S is offline
Location: Mount Penn, PA
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Posts: 6,608
Default Re: First Presidential Debate

One area of concern for the Obama campaign is that he isn't above 50% in any major poll. Also, many of the polls are using 2008 turnout models, and it's yet to be seen if 2012 will mirror 2008 in terms of minority and youth voting.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 AM.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
GameTavern