Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series
Old 10-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #121
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox 6 View Post
So now that breaking bad is over, this show is picking up again. Given that they have diverted from the source material I have no idea what to expect. How many episodes is this season gonna be?
I'm pretty sure it was picked up for 13 episodes.

I've already lowered my expectations. They have Shane (Jon Bernthal) credited/casted for the whole 2nd season.

Killing Shane is CENTRAL to the comic. It is the only plot point you really need to follow to a tee to still be considered a "Walking Dead" tv show. The fact that they pussied out and don't seem to be going down that path is sad but also fucking ridiculous. The comic isn't a force of great dialog, it's not really a complex or complicated comic. I don't get it. =/

If you don't kill Shane...you downplay Lori and Rick's issues. You lose the emotions during the prison stuff. It really downplays a lot of what makes the comic so good. And so my prediction is we are going to see typical TV-drama bullshit. Mounting tension between Lori, Shane, and Rick. Unspectacular and cliched writing. They could have made the show dark (like how it is supposed to be) but instead they are going to create faux drama.

They have casted Hershel Greene and it looks like the first 6 or 7 episodes will involve the Greene farm and life on the countryside. No mention of stopping in the suburbs....which could have been really creepy and fun.

I dunno, we will have to wait and see. Season 1 was B- or C+ TV for me. They captured the ambiance perfectly, the story not so much.

Last edited by KillerGremlin : 10-14-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #122
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

But they covered themselves with contagious zombie gore! That's a pretty good story right?!?!

Old 10-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #123
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
But they covered themselves with contagious zombie gore! That's a pretty good story right?!?!
Uggghhhh....don't remind me of that horribly acted episode. That is the type of comic violence that is campy and comicy enough that the show's writers should have cleaned up or just kept out of the TV show.

It's clear that their writing team isn't the best in the business.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #124
KillerGremlin
No Pants

From the man himself:

Quote:
KIRKMAN: I will say that some of that came from the fact that we had a six-episode first season. It didn't feel right to get through Shane's story in six episodes and wrap it up. Jon Bernthal is doing such an amazing job with the character that we don't really want to get rid of Shane any time soon. The guy could live forever.

I will say this: I get no small amount of delight from making jokes about killing that guy every time I'm doing a convention or panel with Jon Bernthal. That guy loves being on this show, and I go a little overboard. I'm expecting him to deck me at some point. We'll be on a panel and I'll go, "Keep on lipping off, buddy — we'll be getting rid of you soon!" He's a good sport about it, but I want to keep Shane around to keep bugging Jon Bernthal.
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/03/04...obert-kirkman/

Who knows what motives are behind the decision. Do I get a reward for making the first Kirkman-George Lucas comparison? I hope it's pie.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #125
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Hm so when's season 2 starting again?

Old 10-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #126
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

Sunday the 16th

Old 10-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #127
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Old 10-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #128
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

Pretty good episode. The only thing I dislike so far is how completely idiotic the characters can be sometimes.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:29 AM   #129
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
Pretty good episode. The only thing I dislike so far is how completely idiotic the characters can be sometimes.
I think, in some ways, it just deals with being stuck in a situation where normal rules don't always work.

Like during a character's speech, I actually felt sympathetic towards suicide attempts because, I mean at the end of the day, you are only fighting for your survival in this world. So why not go out on your own terms?

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 10-17-2011, 04:01 AM   #130
KillerGremlin
No Pants

An entertaining first episode, I still feel like this show has yet to move out of the C or B-grade level.

I'm mostly referring to some of the amateur hour acting. This stuff is unavoidable in the horror genre, which is probably why many directors go for the horror-comedy route.

But they need to tighten some of this stuff up. The Bambi, fuck-me looks were weird. And every scene with T-Dog has suggested that T-Dog deserves his horrible nickname.

I've already complained about plot so I'm just going along for the ride. The zombies and cinematography were good, let's hope they can keep the post-Apocalyptic ride going.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:05 AM   #131
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Just waiting for T-Dog to come out and say it's alright if they just call him Theodore or something. Then again the actor's name is IronE...sooo yeah.

Since they're going to the farm in the next ep does that mean they're skipping over Tyreese?

Skill not crazy about the show for the reasons KG mentioned. Can't help but think how awesome it would be with Mad Men or Breaking Bad caliber acting.

Shall stick it out until a certain character shows up. She'll make or break this for me. Not sure if it'll be this season though. Dunno how much they're going to stretch things out.

Last edited by Teuthida : 10-17-2011 at 06:14 AM.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #132
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
I think, in some ways, it just deals with being stuck in a situation where normal rules don't always work.

Like during a character's speech, I actually felt sympathetic towards suicide attempts because, I mean at the end of the day, you are only fighting for your survival in this world. So why not go out on your own terms?
Eh, although that was really bad, and I was cringing during her entire speech, there were other bad parts I was thinking of. Like trying to assemble that gun while the zombie was outside the door, and that dude almost cutting his arm off, and the little girl not waiting on Rick.

It removes a lot of suspense from the show when the characters do things that make me think they deserve to die, rather than continuing to empathize with them.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #133
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
Eh, although that was really bad, and I was cringing during her entire speech, there were other bad parts I was thinking of. Like trying to assemble that gun while the zombie was outside the door, and that dude almost cutting his arm off, and the little girl not waiting on Rick.

It removes a lot of suspense from the show when the characters do things that make me think they deserve to die, rather than continuing to empathize with them.
I guess to each their own.

I will agree with you, I thought it was awful that she was trying to assemble the gun while the zombie was in there. Especially since.. you know... she doesn't know how to.

And the little girl just seemed like an easy plot point, but where the hell could she sneak off to without them tracking her. Even mentioned only one set of tracks so not like she found another person.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 10-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #134
KillerGremlin
No Pants

I didn't understand the gun assembly scene either; if you have zero clue how to put a gun together, why make the noise. But I let that one slide because the make-up was awesome on the camper zombie, and the screw driver finish was eye-wrenching.

The other scene that no one has mentioned is the scene where they cut open the zombie. The way that Daryl had to do the two-handed knife...hahaha...I was laughing. I actually wonder if that scene was intentionally supposed to bring on some camp/cheese. It definitely had the over-the-top gore of a good B-flick. "It's just a woodchuck," lololol. I'm glad you can basically take a bath in Zombie blood and not become infected.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #135
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
Shall stick it out until a certain character shows up. She'll make or break this for me. Not sure if it'll be this season though. Dunno how much they're going to stretch things out.

I heard that she will show up. No Governor though...and so I'm guessing no prison?