Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Happy Hour

Your most memorable sport moments
Old 03-11-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Your most memorable sport moments

Now I know not everyone here plays sports, so if you don't what is the most memorable/favourite moment from watching sports?

I have a few.

When I was 17-18 I played hockey 'recreationally' (It was still competitive) in the Men's league. So it was the final game for the league championship, and we were poised to win a retarded 13-2 game. A few minutes left in the game and it starts to get ugly; a 30-ish year old blindsides my brother giving him a concussion, to which I quickly skate over and drop my gloves. The guy says "Im sorry man, Im sorry" and skates away. I found this exceptionally funny because I was 17, and I didn't really want to fight him. A few minutes later, the smallest guy on our team (about 5'6'') gets leveled by the biggest guy on their team. Our players dad immediately jumps the glass and runs onto the ice to try and - I suppose - do something about it. If you've never seen an enraged 60 year old try to run on ice I definitely say you should. After that is settled the time is winding down and the puck is deep in their end, so I casually skate in to get it. Now, all game, and every other game - I was the guy who would screen the goalie. My role was basically tip in loose pucks, deflect them in, and piss the goalie off. Apparently I did my job really well this time, because when I skated into the corner to get the puck the goalie came out and bodychecked me into the boards. I didn't know what to do, or think - so I look back at our goalie and he just shrugs, as if to say "I dont know man, I'm not gonna do anything about it", so I tackle their goalie down which is a big no-no in hockey - and then a linebrawl/dogpile ensues. Then we won. This is who was left of our team after everyone got ejected. The small guy in the front in the wrong jersey was the small guy that got hit, and he's wearing the wrong jersey because his got ripped earlier in the game. I'm the hulking beast in the back, second from the left - next to the midget. We were so proud of winning that tiny, tiny trophy.

When I was little I played in a Soccer tournament in BC place. While the stands weren't packed with 60,000 people, it was still a really awesome experience.

My last was on my 15th or 16th birthday, me and my brother were watching a Canucks playoff game, and they were about to get eliminated. There was about 20 seconds left and we were down 3-2 or something. Matt Cooke skated in the neutral zone with the puck, Iginla (of the Flames) fell down, Cooke burst passed him, deked someone else, and scored with only a second or two left to tie it up. Me and my brother went from having our arms crossed and pacing the room stomping on birthday balloons to rampantly shouting and jumping up and down hugging eachother. They ended up losing that game, but I won't forget that.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Re: Your most memorable sport moments
Old 03-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #2
ZebraRampage

Now Playing: Borderlands 2
Default Re: Your most memorable sport moments

I used to live in Connecticut, and I played Little League in a town called Trumbull. This is the same town that won the Little League World Series in 1989 with Chris Drury as the pitcher, who now plays in the NHL, which most of you probably know. I just thought I'd add that little side note in there because it's kind of cool. Anyway, back to my story. So Trumbull's little league was split up into two leagues, and I was in the American League side. I was on the Mariners, and we reached the ALCS against Tampa Bay. This next part is going to sound very cliche. We were the home team, and we were winning 2-1 in the top of the 6th(this is the last inning for LL games) and there was a runner on second with 2 outs and 2 strikes on the batter. I was in left field at the time, and the the ball was hit at the shortstop. The ball actually went through his legs so I had to run up and get the ball. The third base coach was waving the runner home when I picked up the ball, and I threw it toward home plate. It bounced once and then went right past the catcher, because he stupidly threw his glove down in frustration over the shortstop messing up on the play. They scored to make it 2-2, and eventually took a 3-2 lead. We didn't get any runs in the bottom of the 6th, and lost the game and the chance to go to the LL Championship game in our town. I was really pissed off at the catcher on my team, but I've gotten over it by now. It was really fun to be in that game, and I wish we had won, but at least it wasn't my fault for the loss. Making the winning throw would have been cool though.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
Swan
Hey It's AIDS

Now Playing:

Mine is from watching sports. A few weeks ago me and a friend went downtown for the Canada/Slovakia game to one of the party houses. The last 30 second of the game were so tense, we were up by one and they had right at our goal the entire time. When the buzzer finally one Vancouver went nuts. Wandered the streets for awhile after that just getting high fives.

Never had so many in my life

Old 03-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #4
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

In high school people assumed I wasn't good at sports because I was chubby and stuff but I used to catch a lot of touchdown (and other) passes in football so that always felt pretty rad.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:41 AM   #5
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

Either when I first slam dunked in a game or when I totally rejected some cocky guy trying to dunk on me. haha good times.