Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Happy Hour

Have a great new years eve
Old 12-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Dyne
Or should I say.. smanger

Now Playing: Infinity Blade II, Duke Nukem Forever, Skyrim, Vanquish
Default Have a great new years eve

I just reset my status to registered. Feel free to trash the place.

Re: Have a great new years eve
Old 12-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power
Default Re: Have a great new years eve

Happy new years eve and a happy birthday to you good sir.

Resolutions anybody?

Old 01-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

My resolutions from last year:

Quote:
3 months: Start doing more cardio on days that I don't go to the gym (running a mile or so)

6 months: Launch a web based business.

12 months: I'm calling this one "enjoy what you have" year. I have more games and books than I can get through in a lifetime, so I'm going to try to purchase as little entertainment products as I can this year, and focus on enjoying the ones I already have. This is intended to save me a lot of money as I will only be paying for rent, utilities, food, and gas.
1. I actually decided to do the opposite of this, and lift more weights as opposed to doing cardio. I stuck with a pretty good diet though, and I've lost 55 pounds since this time last year. I weigh 170lbs...which is the perfect weight for my height (6'1"). So for the first time in a long time "lose weight" isn't on my list of resolutions. I weigh about 10 pounds less than I did in high school, and I'm stronger.

2. Did this, though it wasn't really successful. Too much manual data entry. I'm working on a new project for this year though, which will be more automated and self sustaning.

3. Definitely accomplished this one, other than buying an engagement ring. I really limited my game purchases, other than the ones I have on the list and a few really good sales.

Resolutions for this Year

4 months: Purchase a house.

6 months: Learn to cook. Really learn to cook. I cook now, but it's nothing special. I'm going to buy a real cookbook and learn to make some really nice stuff.

12 months: Monetize a website.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Combine 017
Headcrabs!

Now Playing: ...Always playing: Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2:Episode One, Half-Life 2:Episode Two, TF2, EVE

Well this is my last year before the end of the world again, so im going to live like every week is my last.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

Happy late Gametavern birthday, Phil

Old 01-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

My basic resolution for last year was to quit smoking and get healthy.

I basically didn't smoke all year with a few drunken exceptions that weren't cigarettes I bought.

I stopped drinking soda. I actually started the gym thing in like September of 2010 but stopped in April of 2011 due to some monetary issues and the gym being like almost 50 dollars a month.

Still after I stopped drinking soda I probably lost about 10 pounds putting me around 175ish again.

I don't really have any resolutions this year other than to just live life.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlyMoogle View Post
My basic resolution for last year was to quit smoking and get healthy.

I basically didn't smoke all year with a few drunken exceptions that weren't cigarettes I bought.

I stopped drinking soda. I actually started the gym thing in like September of 2010 but stopped in April of 2011 due to some monetary issues and the gym being like almost 50 dollars a month.

Still after I stopped drinking soda I probably lost about 10 pounds putting me around 175ish again.

I don't really have any resolutions this year other than to just live life.
I do Crossfit, and while the gym membership is kind of expensive, I always recommend this to people who either don't live near a gym or can't afford one at the moment:

http://www.crossfitbroward.com/cross...avel-wods.html

You can get into really great shape utilizing nothing but your body weight.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:01 AM   #8
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Some neighbours and me were talking about the gym yesterday. We see a lot of people who hit the gym twice a week but aren't in really good shape, while we also know many people who just train at home and look just as good if not better.
In the last (half?) year I haven't done much training, but a few weeks ago I started again. Push-ups, sit-ups, arm curls. Oh and DDR for some extra cardio.
My neighbours saw that I was actually pretty muscled... I just need to lose some fat so you can see it.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
Some neighbours and me were talking about the gym yesterday. We see a lot of people who hit the gym twice a week but aren't in really good shape, while we also know many people who just train at home and look just as good if not better.
In the last (half?) year I haven't done much training, but a few weeks ago I started again. Push-ups, sit-ups, arm curls. Oh and DDR for some extra cardio.
My neighbours saw that I was actually pretty muscled... I just need to lose some fat so you can see it.
That's because how you look weight wise is about 90% diet and 10% exercise.

When you think about using exercise to burn calories, it is so much more inefficient than just eating less calories. It takes a huge amount of time and work just to burn 100 calories.

Doing things to build muscle though is really beneficial since muscles are like fat burning factories. The bigger they are the easier it is to lose weight. That's why you should typically focus more on your legs than any other body part, since those muscles are so large.

There's also some science behind how if you train your leg muscles first and get blood flowing there, then work out another body part it makes that exercise more beneficial, but I don't recall how that works.