Re: North Carolina Votes to make gay marriage unconstituational
Old 05-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: North Carolina Votes to make gay marriage unconstituational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
I still think having civil liberties forced on a state by the federal government is better than a state forcibly taking away the rights of people who live there. Those people have virtually no voice and can't fight back.
This is the argument that I personally agree with. Ideally, I just wish everyone would wake up and stop worrying about other people do in their personal lives, but that's not likely to happen any time soon.

Quote:
I'm more afraid of a world where Roe v. Wade didn't happen. Is abortion still a political clusterfuck? Yeah, but it would be regardless. I'm more thankful that the rights of people in conservative states are being protected.
We have a pretty good idea of what would happen just by measuring public opinion state by state. In most cases abortion would be legal in some form or another, and in those few that ban abortion residents would likely travel to a state that didn't have a ban.

And by the way, conservatives aren't the only ones who attempt to deny rights. Keep in mind, a conservative never voted for firearm regulations and rarely ask for tax increases (denying people the right to a percentage of their property).

Government cannot grant rights, it can only take them away (we are born with rights). This is why I have always had issues with big government whether coming from the left or the social conservative right. The bigger the government the smaller the citizen.