Re: Court Strikes Down Hand-Gun Ban
Old 06-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #12
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: Court Strikes Down Hand-Gun Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox 6 View Post
1. Then why not limit the 2nd amendment to .22's and pitchforks if that's all it takes?
Because the intent of the 2nd amendment wasn't to arm civilians "just enough". If you disagree with it, ok, work towards an amendment.

Quote:
Also you magically made up about 50 million people....

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=...can+population
Ok. I was mistaken. Doesn't change my opinion on the result of a mass uprising.

Quote:
2. if the US populace had to rise up and fight the government in this age that would be a fictional "apocalyptic" situation. Part of my reasoning about the "that works for that time period, but now?" comment is that you are the friggin USA, The government and military would never turn against the populace at all. That is the whole point of democracy, and if you think its going to crumble and some crazy regime is going to sprout up, then you may be reading too many right wing news letters or attending too many conspiracy meetings.
I don't think we're anywhere close to having a situation where the people would be forced to rise up against their government. As you said, we are a democracy. But all that needs to happen for violence to become necessary is for the democratic process to end. I don't see that happening any time soon, but that doesn't mean that it will never happen.

Quote:
Also i think you should use the term "won" loosely, as you are still fighting, and only time will tell if the desired outcome happens when western forces leave the middle east.
Point taken. I only use "win" only in Iraq, BTW, because it looks like we have won in general terms. That can change, but I don't think I'm being overly optimistic.

Quote:
3. Now you're just throwing "ifs" around and dabbling in hypothetical situations to aid your point. AMERICANS haven't had to fight a tyrannical governments have you? so again, you cant compare fighting insurgents to the American populace and call them both untrained combatants.
Do you have any numbers or proof that these people were trained combatants? To my knowledge, most were simply loosely trained armed populace. Keep in mind, RPGs and Aks are loved by resistance fighters BECAUSE they are easy to come by and require almost no training.

Last edited by Professor S : 06-29-2010 at 10:01 AM.