Re: Midterm Elections (Nov. 2)
Old 11-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: Midterm Elections (Nov. 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Germanator View Post
Bummer of a night. Especially for a PA voter. Oh well. Expected, but disappointed. I hope Republicans actually do something positive other than try to stifle Obama and make him lose in 2012, otherwise politics will continue to bug the hell out of me.
I was very happy to see the Republicans take the Governor's office. I forget his name, but watching the debates and commercials, he appeared to be the only candidate who actually had a plan. Onorato just seemed to repeat generic talking points. Toomey I can take or leave. It worries me that he is so tied to big business through his lobbying, but Sestak was a horrible choice to run against him. Way too liberal to win a PA senate seat. A moderate dem would have won easily.

The Republicans in the house will have the opportunity to present legislation at least. As Speaker, Pelosi buried most Republican sponsored bills and they never hit the floor for an up or down vote. These bills will now likely be sent to the shaken-up and "moderatized" Senate, and with a little modification, many will be sent to the President for approval or veto. We'll how Clinton-esque Pres. Obama can be.

On a side note, now that the Republicans are in power, I hope they do not bury Democrat legislation like the Dems buried Republican legislation when they controlled the house. The Speaker position is one of responsibility and order, not control and "king-making". Present the bills and let the votes decide. In any case, I'd much rather see fewer bills, narrower in scope, than these monstrous bills that try and do too much and hide self-serving earmarks and other nastiness.

The process is as broken as anything else.

Last edited by Professor S : 11-03-2010 at 12:05 PM.