View Single Post

Re: Police Can Attach GPS to Cars Without Warrant
Old 08-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #5
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: Police Can Attach GPS to Cars Without Warrant

Prof - here is how I look at this.

Why do you care if the police are able to see where you are at any given time? Are you doing anything illegal? What do you have to hide?

The only people this hurts, is those doing illegal activity, or activity that is shady to their character that can somehow be used against them in a court of law, assuming they are doing something illegal in the first place.

It won't be "Oh my god ____ is in Kentucky." "What! Send the SWAT Team, he's from Alabama! We've been randomly tracking him, and him being out of state is concerning to us!"

The same way they don't randomly track your phone. I mean, sure. If you give them REASON to track you, they will find a way to do so. Just as before phones, [and the way to track cars] they would find out where you lived. Is that illegal? No. Why should your phone be illegal? You have a number. That number [much like a house number, and insurance/license plate] is registered to YOU - meaning it is always with YOU. So them being able to know where you live, or where your car, or phone is at any given point - so long as you give them reason to chase you - is totally fine.

If you stay within the bounds of the law, who cares.

You might say "Yeah, but they can find out where your car/phone is at any given point!"

To which I say "Sure, but but they can also see where you live by looking at anything."

Going into a house is one thing. That - you need a warrant for.
Knowing where your car is, or where your phone is, seems ridiculous to care about - unless you're doing things that are illegal, or that you're ashamed about.

I for one, want the government to know where I am at any given time. Granted people keep their phone on them at all times, and I get kidnapped, they will know where I am. Especially if my car gets stolen, it will be a fast way to find it.

Sure, they can do it without a warrant, but who gives a shit. Do you have anything to hide? Will they randomly peg pieces of paper and say "This guy. Let's go check where his car is, and why it's there." No. They won't.

Stop acting overly paranoid over things that don't even matter in the least, or put on your tinfoil at. All or nothing.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.