Old 04-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #47
thatmariolover
GameTavern Plumber

Now Playing:
Default Re: No mohammed discussion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
No...jeez.

Just asked concerning empathy. Forget it. I'll just draw the lot of you giving Matt and Trey blowjobs for May 20.

(And for the record I didn't see the South Park episode so not sure what they did. Don't believe I ever saw an entire episode before either. The voices are too annoying to sit through half an hour. I saw BASEketball...that was mildly enjoyable at age 13.)
The show makes fun of everybody equally. That's the best part of the show - it challenges everybody, regardless of who they are. Muhammad is hardly alone in this episode; he's part of the Super Best Friends. They’re a brawny team of crime-fighting deities that also includes Buddha, Jesus, Joseph Smith, Krishna, and Sea Man. Two opposing camps, Tom Cruise and Gingers, want to clone Muhammad's power to not be mocked so they take South Park hostage until they deliver him.

The bottom line, though, is that it wasn't making fun of Muhammad at all. It's the offended Muslims that are the butt of the joke. There is no ban on the image of Mohammed, and the only the power he has to not be mocked is power that we as people give him. You can go to museums with images depicting the Prophet Muhammad all over.

Should Christians kill Dan Brown for writing the Da Vinci Code? No, but if it was about Islam it's suddenly worthy of controversy and offense? Absolutely not. And South Park underscored that point - a double standard exists. They challenged the Islamic taboo and might have succeeded with something had they not been censored.

Apparently the writers behind The Simpsons agree with South Park.