Re: Star: Wars or Trek
Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #16
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: Star: Wars or Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
I don't think Lucas ruined Star Wars at all.

Rather, I think that everyone's expectation of the newer movies was set far far too high compared with the original epic trilogy. Go back and actually watch episodes 4-6, and you'll see one thing: They actually suck. However, that is immediately negated due to the fact it was released in the 70's (and obviously the "CGI" in it was fantastic for the time) and that Harrison Ford was in it. Mark Hamill was a terribly horrid actor 90% of the time - the only times he was a good actor was when he wasn't struggling to awkward up his lines. Again, this is negated due to the sheer fact of nostalgia.

Anyways, compared to the sheer epic-ness of the trilogy, people were expecting Episodes 1, 2 and 3 (especially 1) to literally give them a handjob while they watched it, because it was nearly almost 30 years since it started, so it has to have been 30 times better then!

And don't even bring up the Jar Jar Binks thing, without realizing Wookies, C3-PO or the Ewoks.

Um...

WRONG

No honestly, I don't think you've ever been more wrong. If you though 2+2=Banana you couldn't be more wrong. On a right vs. wrong scale measured 1 to 10, you rank in at about SUCK. j/k

I simply disagree. The first two movies were definitely improved by advances in special effects (they hold up even today, and in many cases look better than CG IMO) and the like, but what made them great was the writing, direction and character development. The best of the original movies were the original and Empire, and former being in Lucas's prime when he still directed and wrote on a regular basis, and the latter he did not write or direct, but simply produced.

Also, you can easily make the argument that overall the content that was not under his direct control was the best of the series. Revenge was Lucas's best effort since the original, but by that point he had already annihilated so much of his own mythos it took effort to give the movie weight.