View Single Post

Re: Citizenship at Birth
Old 08-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #35
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: Citizenship at Birth

Quote:
Case and point. If the penalty for stealing a candy bar from a store was life in prison, there would be a lot less petty theift. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but when you tweak the incentives it has results.
No it wouldn't - because there wouldn't be any more people enforcing that law than there is now.

Quote:
I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but when you tweak the incentives it has results.
Do you have facts on this? What laws are you specifically talking about, where incentives have been changed, and crime has gone down significantly?

Quote:
As long as people think the reward for getting over here is bigger then the risk, it will always be an issue, no matter how many people you station at the border. That's why it hasn't and will never work.
This is where we differ in thought.

You think "They only want to come here to get Green Cards 30 years in the future."
I think "They want to go there because it's a whole lot better than raising a family in 'Central America'."

The reason you think it will work beautifully in your mind, is that the only reason they're going there in the first place, is to have an American baby.
Rather the fact their neighbourhoods might be plagued with drug gangs, gangs in general, they might have been extorted by gangs, there might be a giant militia war raging. None of the "Birthing a child law" will change the risk for any of those people. At all. Whatsoever.

What will removing the Birth Right law do to stop 5,000 [obviously a random number] single Mexican people from crossing the border? Nothing. Why? Because it has absolutely nothing to do with them.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.