Re: Reconciling the American Dream with the Least Among Us
Old 03-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #20
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Default Re: Reconciling the American Dream with the Least Among Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
I don't want to accuse you of anything, but it sounds like you are making this story an individualist one.

We live in a world that operates based on certain social norms, and within those norms are a lot of social codes. TheSlyMoogle's situation is not particularly unique as many Queer people (anyone in the LGBTQ community) tell narratives of family members reacting quite negatively to their coming out process. Also narrated are stories of friends, teachers and communities lashing out against these people. It is no coincidence that the LGBTQ community has the highest rate of suicide amongst youth. There is deep rooted discrimination in our society towards the LGBTQ community. We obviously are not a post-Gender society. So, being LGBTQ puts you at a social disadvantage in many ways according to our normal social codes. I am privileged to be a normal straight guy. I never had to deal with coming out, never had to deal with issues within social network, etc. It is advantageous to not be gay (although less so now) and it has been for quite some time. To simply reduce TheSlyMoogle's situation to a simple family problem is to negate broader social issues. TheSlyMoogle's parents are not unique in their hatred towards gays: they were conditioned by external forces in the world we live in. Similar broad social norms and codes apply to all sorts of communities...which is why privilege is such a big issue. How do you reconcile this? I don't know that you can in a GT forum thread.

As for the American dream...I really need an ipod.
Haha I wasn't going to get into this as was done with the thread, but you pretty much said everything I would have. It is the norm, most people who I've met in my life since have been like "Oh yeah I have a friend whose parents did the same thing"

It's quite common for most people, especially in this part of the US. Hell, until 1973 Homosexuality was considered a mental disorder.

Basically due to our overly religious society mostly, and because it's just the next thing to hate. "Oh not cool to hate people of other races anymore? Fine... I'll hate someone else. Oh gay people, that seems hateable. Let's do that."

That's an entirely different discussion.

I will say that I am fortunate enough to have not run into many people in my lifetime that have viewed me in a negative way because of my sexual preference. At least, not at face, and really in the end societal tolerance through societal pressure is fine with me Hahaha.

Also I wish everyone could have an iPod. Also that it was cool for everyone to just jam out all the time. Think the world would be a better place if there was more music.