View Single Post

Re: North Carolina Votes to make gay marriage unconstituational
Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: North Carolina Votes to make gay marriage unconstituational

Typh, if you're going to take the time to write "nonsense", don't plead that people don't address it. If you don't want people to address it, DON'T POST IT. A message board is a conversation, and that takes two or more people. If you just want to get your "nonsense" off your chest, write a blog or better yet just talk to yourself in the car. Don't waste our time. But in any case, please stop your habit of writing paragraphs on serious subjects and then dismissing yourself as "having a lark". Take ownership of your opinion.

A few points:

Quote:
You needed the militia to defend yourself from the Redcoats because you didn't have a significant standing army at the time (compared to the British). The militia was your army. Now that your country has a massive professional army, and it's hundreds of years in the future, I think the militia thing is a little passe - unless you guys want to pick and choose other archaeic few-hundred-year-old things to live by.
Ok, then I guess we can just ignore all of the Bill of Rights? They're all equally archaic, right? So freedom of speech and protection against unlawful search and seizure should be ignored as well? Of course not. "Archaic" has nothing to do with your opinion. You're entire standard of the law and people's rights are what YOU happen to agree or disagree with, regardless of the process or what individual rights you would deny others. You don't value gun rights, therefore EVERYONE should not be able to exercise them.

Watch the Penn and Teller video, and if you did watch it, watch it again. The militia = the military, it is not paramilitary or a bunch of jackasses running around in the woods on weekends. And if people disagree with the amendment protecting gun ownership, they can overturn it through the amendment process. It was done with prohibition, it can be done with gun ownership. You can't simply ignore it because a few people, or even many people, think it's archaic.

Quote:
Well I can't not agree with that! Everyone will agree with that. Everyone's idea of a bad law is different though - and your country is so large, and vastly divided (you had a war between two parts of your country BECAUSE they are so different - most countries split up after that) that it's nearly impossible for your entire country to come to a majority decision on anything.
That's the ENTIRE POINT of the legislative and amendment process. If you can't gather a large majority of public opinion, you can't remove the rights of the individual, and this is especially true of those rights protected in the bill of rights. This is also why state's rights are important. So are federal rights, but one does not need to eliminate the other.

Quote:
It's like comparing guns to suffrage, or slavery. Same shit, different era.
Quote:
Even though I'm not gay or Republican, and my country already allows them to get normal-married - I assume it's not about tax benefits.
It's about the word.
One side is saying "What's the big deal? It's just a word. You're still treated pretty much the same" and the other is saying "Exactly. So let us just use that fucking word."
So slavery and women's suffrage movements are the same as arguing over semantics/the use of a word? Of course they aren't. This is why I favor a more natural, society based resolution to the gay marriage issue. In the end, this IS about the use of a word, and I don't think that argument (as anemic as it is) is worth the political and cultural strife it would cause to force a new cultural norm on a population that doesn't want it.

Again, we both agree on the heart of this issue, but forcing it could potentially cause violence and even murder in our more backward areas. Not only that, it could give enough political will to attempt an amendment defining marriage, and I think that would set the entire cause back for decades, potentially.

Last edited by Professor S : 05-11-2012 at 08:59 AM.