Re: North Carolina Votes to make gay marriage unconstituational
Old 05-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: North Carolina Votes to make gay marriage unconstituational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
Not to open a can of worms, but (as calmly as possibly can be taken); you can't seriously be comparing firearms and tax to equality rights in marriage.
One is the right to defend yourself from a British Invasion, the other is the right to be treated like a human being in their own country.
Where to begin with this comment?

1) The right to bear arms has nothing to do with "British Invasion". The second amendment is about giving citizens the right to bear arms because the government must have a military, and that military could turn against free citizens.

Penn and Teller explain this quite well:

And my comment about "not just conservatives" was never meant to absolve conservatives of denying rights, it was to point out that government, right or left, can ONLY DENY RIGHTS and can not give them. Any law that is passed, in some way or another, removes individual rights to some degree. IMO, many laws are necessary. I certainly don't want to let anyone have the right to murder. But many are not necessary, and are therefore bad law because an unnecessary law unnecessarily denies people their rights.

2) Being able to use the term marriage to describe your civil union is not the dividing line of human rights. regarding the NC issue, no one I've heard is talking about denying gay people rights related to their union such as tax benefits, etc. They're denying gay people the ability to define their union with a word they want to reserve only use for men and women. That's the sum total of their ridiculous exercise in semantics.

Again, I disagree with these people, but let's not exaggerate the consequences of states making these decisions as opposed to federal governments.

Last edited by Professor S : 05-10-2012 at 08:19 PM.