Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:
Default Re: Final Fantasy Megathread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
FINAL FANTASY XVI
Played it. Beat it.

I thought it was pretty good! This is most a single player Final Fantasy has felt like (what my perception is of) Final Fantasy for a long time. It also felt a lot like a single player FFXIV (which I thought was a good thing) which maybe means the are the first two main FF games to be so similar since the OG Playstation?

The story was enjoyable as I was going through it but I'm not sure it wrapped up in a fully satisfying way. There were some questions I don't feel got satisfactorily answered or answered at all, but its also the kind of thing that maybe I'd pick up more on a second play through or enjoy more minus the disappointment that what I thought would happen didn't.

Gameplay wise, obviously the action combat is somewhat controversial, but I feel like that ship has sailed a long time ago. It was fun and the gameplay and overall world and structure incorporated enough "Final Fantasy"isms to be satisfying to me.

So all in all I enjoyed it. I'm currently feeling its my favorite single player Final Fantasy since X, but we'll see if that lasts through the honeymoon phase. I'm definitely happier with it afterwards compared to XV.

Current Review: Xenogears