Re: Batman Begins Talkback *Spoilers Version*
Old 06-19-2005, 05:35 PM   #15
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: Batman Begins Talkback *Spoilers Version*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone
Ok this has nothing to do with the movie, but eh it was mentioned. I honestly have never seen the appeal in The Dark Knight Returns. I just don't get it. As far as alternative futures goes, I would prefer the world of Batman Beyond.
I loved TDKR, because I think no other book has gone so far into Batman's true reason for doing what he does. Its not vengeance or justice... its guilt. In TDKR Batman is guilty that he is still alive and his parents are dead, especially because he has outlived his parents. He feels guilt for having abandoned Gotham and Jim Gordon. He feels guilt over the death of Jason Todd.

A recurring theme throughout the book is that Batman is looking for a good way to die. Its not until the end that he finds a new purpose and reason to go on. Also, I think the symbiotic relationship between Batman and the Joker was examined beautifully, with the Joker sitting in Arkham waiting for Batman to resurface.

You also have to remember that stories like this for Batman were non-existant before Frank Miller re-invented what Batman could be and mean.

IMO, its brilliant and one of the truly important moments for comics as a artform along with The Watchmen and most recently Earth X.