View Single Post

Batman Begins Talkback *Spoilers Version*
Old 06-15-2005, 03:53 PM   #1
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Default Batman Begins Talkback *Spoilers Version*

Ok not that anyone is reading the other thread, but figured since that one is pretty much spoiler free. I could have one that could include spoilers or what have you. And of course, general feedback.

Anyhow, I caught the noon showing of the movie with a friend. And though my opinion may not be the best one to take on this movie (overly) biase, it is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Like lots of reviews will say not just one of the best comic book movies, but a general all around movie.

The movie is really divided into two parts. The Genesis of The Batman and the well first real threat the Batman has to save Gotham from.

The first part of the movie is awesome. There is a lot more backstory given here then in any other version of Batman's origins. Even though he has very little screen time, you are able to feel for Thomas Wayne. He is a good man and it pains him to see his city falling no matter how much he tries. He also loves his son and has a very special relationship with him. The worst thing about it, is the audience knows what will eventually happen to him so its made all the more sad. Oddly, or maybe not, the mother is given very little to work with.. I found that kind of disappointing since the father is so close to the son.

Anyhow, we then see the fall out of Bruce's parents death much later. Bruce can't fit in too well it seems, leaving Princeton and trying to kill Joe Chill to enact revenge for his parents. He is unable to enact revenge because someone gets to Chill first because he was gonna rat on the biggest crime boss in Gotham, Carmine Falcone. This of course shows Bruce that corruption in Gotham runs much larger than his parents death.

In one the more chilling scenes of the movie, Bruce confronts Falcone in some club. And is basically told mess with me and you or any one you hold dare will get it. This of course leads to part of the motivation for Bruce to put....

Er this is getting long winded.

Anyhow, it is an awesome sequence that allows you to see how Bruce gets to be who he is. From studying the underworld to his training in different arts. And of course meeting up with Ducard and Ra's Al Ghul.

Well, Bruce joins up with the League of Shadows and does well. Becomes like their prime student and as the prodigal son of Gotham, he is in a prime position to help them destroy Gotham. Bruce doesn't quite see it that way and blows the joint (quite literally).

He returns to Gotham and with the aid of family butler Alfred, and Applied Sciences head, Lucious Fox, Bruce is able to create his Batman persona.

Now this Batman is unlike any other in the movies. He is more stalker than fighter. The scenes with Batman are usually depicted as horror films. With a dark creature run in and out of the shadow and grabbing his would be victim. It really really really works well. The fear of the villians is one of the best parts of the movie.

The fights scenes on the other hand, leave a little to be desired. because they decide for the quick cuts, you just see stuff hitting no idea who is hitting who (95% of the time its probably Batman landing the blows but eh). It isn't too distracting most of the time because Batman is winning, but the final fight could of been better without it. And we know Bruce and Ra's can go.

Er I'll add more later. But I must make a note. The Scarecrow is a f*(K!ng bad ass villian. And his hallunctions are some of the best parts of the movie. I'm sure not many people knew who ScareCrow was before this movie, but after it everyone will be asking.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away