Re: Iron Man 2
Old 05-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #24
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:
Default Re: Iron Man 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
I saw it tonight. I didn't much care for it - the movie was all over the place, Stark/Iron-Man was much less likable, and there were too many facepalm moments.

"This new element will solve your problem, unfortunately it cannot be made."

*Tony makes it*

Overall not a -bad- movie, just such a disappointment after the first one.
We can stop blocking spoilers now, right? Besides, this one isn't that big a spoiler.

The creation of the new element was complete bullpucky. He makes the element based on a diagram laid out in his father's plan for a city. The problem is the diagram clearly isn't an element. It's a molecule. You can tell because the picture of the "element" isn't a bunch of stuff orbiting a nucleus but is instead a bunch of particles linked to each other. And there's a huge difference. Creating a new element is nuclear physics and is really hard. Creating a new molecule is chemistry and is comparatively easy (hundreds of new molecules are put together every year).

I know that's scientific nitpicking, but it annoyed me because it was so unnecessary. They could have just said "you must forge a new metal" or "you must synthesize a new alloy." There are lots of molecular structures that existed only in theory back in the 60s that we can now create today because of technological advances.

Oh and also, listen to Nerds on the Rocks. We talk about a lot of this.[/plug]

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed