View Single Post

Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series
Old 03-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #334
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series

Clear your schedule:

Why don't they just get Michael Bay to just make the show. He'll speed the pace up for you guys who think it's too slow. He can definitely write one-liners, because The Beef had a ton of horrible ones in Transformers. So that's also got the "more jokes" covered.

I personally think the shows pacing is beautiful. Enough happens to get your heart going, and there are long enough lulls where you get just complacent enough to forget it's a zombie show (right now, anyhow), which is probably the goddamn point.

--------
I do have a question for you hyper-critiquers with some [okay, a lot] tongue-in-cheek anger thrown in there. For personal entertainment, not for actual anger. Keep that in mind.
So what that they haven't gone anywhere? "The Honeymooners" was set in one apartment for a fucking decade. Where'd they go? To the moon! That's where.

Okay, but rly - how is the value of a show's worth tied into where the fictional characters travel to within that show and how frequently they travel?

I feel almost like some of you guys are entirely missing the show because you're just like "Fuck, why cant this hurry up and get to the sweet parts I liked from the comics, goddamnit. I want the Governor. I want another City. Why cant they move! The characters were better written in the comic when I was doing their voices and pacing the words out myself, in my own brain!"

They don't know they're doing this for your entertainment. They are acting [more or less] like real people in a crisis. They're not superheroes. They're not comic book characters. They're people who are collapsing into a shell of themselves when faced with a huge mental obstruction. Would you rather live a nomadic life, traversing zombie-laden cities 24/7 - sleeping in trucks and cars until you get somewhere that isn't where you currently are? Would you expect the entire world to turn into fucking Rambo at the first sign of the apocalypse?

But what then? Say the writers listen and do as you all ask and get them to travel from the farm. Where do they go? Another farm full of zombies? Another building in the middle of a city full of zombies? Another government building surrounded by zombies? Maybe they can just drive on the highway scattered with zombies until they all die - like the Migrant Fleet of cars, but with zombies. But yes, okay - say they leave this farm - and get to magical point D you're all waiting for. What if that doesn't go how it did in the comics (which it wont, because nothing has if your collective complaints ring true). Where will you all be begging for them to travel to next?

Why is it so ridiculous for these imaginations of real people who are trying to hold onto humanity in the middle of an incomprehensible catastrophe stay in one spot?

Ask yourself; If you had seen countless people that you know die, and already been to many buildings covered with zombies, and the only government building you thought would save you turned out to be a lie - and then you finally get to a farm in the middle of a huge field with no (or very few) zombies - would you say "Well, this was a nice vacation, but it's time we get back to being constantly terrified of the abominations of shambling human corpses that have been re-animated to try and kill us. Let's get going gang. Women and children first. Especially my pregnant wife there. Come on, honey. Let's go run from some zombies."

The farm is safe. Why should they leave? Because the show isn't progressing? If you say the show isn't progressing, then we're definitely not watching the same show - because these characters are miles from where they started at only a year ago. Fuck, a lot of them have died. What do you want? New Scenery? Really? Really?

Edit: Now after all that I'm going to say the kicker of:

It's not that I'm against the idea of the show changing setting, I would embrace it like I've embraced everything else the creators of the show have chosen to do, unless it's give that horrible suicidal-actress more fucking lines. This thread has told me to expect someone named the Governor who is a pivotal evil character, in a separate location. So I'm aware a shift in setting is coming, and I'm not against it (or for it). I just think there are a lot of ridiculous complaints about the show, when it's clearly a great show because everyone is watching it.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.