Re: LOST 5/11 "Across the Sea"
Old 05-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: LOST 5/11 "Across the Sea"

I loved the episode.

I caught subtle things from it such as:

When little Jacob and little smoke monster were playing that game, Jacob made a move, and LSM said "You can't do that, it's against the rules", Jacob said "But you made the rules", to which Little Smoke Monster said "When you make a game, you can make the rules."

Now, if you remember a while back, after Jacob had died, Old Smoke Monster saw Jacob as a child, who said "You can't kill him. It's against the rules", insinuating this is all just a big game to them.

Also, in last nights episode LSM sees his real mother. Jacob does not. LSM follows her into the jungle. Weeks ago when Smoke Monster was with Sawyer, Smoke Monster sees Jacob at a distance, looks confused. Sawyer asks "whos the kid", to which smoke monster says "You can see him?" and looks even more confused.

I like the fact that the smoke monster isn't evil. He just wants to leave the Island because its not where he's from. He knows he's from across the sea, and wants to leave the island to be home, where he belongs. Jacob on the other hand called the Island his home, because it's all he's ever known, which explains why he's so adamant to stay on the island, plus he's been off the island. So he knows what's out there, while Smoke Monster still has no idea.

I also had a thought that the reason Smoke Monster is the way smoke monster is is because he's been corrupted by man. He lived with people thousands of years ago. He even said people are terrible things. Jacob, not being touched by the corruption of man stays 'pure'.

ALSO...When the terrible plastic body of Smoke Monster goes into the cave of light-thing, smoke comes out, and (I believe) there is no more light in the tunnel. Meaning the smoke monster is now the light - or apparently, pure magic. Which could also explain why Jacob wants to keep him on the Island, to contain the light. Because the mother even said if man gets ahold of it, bad stuff etc etc. So if Smoke Monster is always on the Island, man can never get ahold of him.

I also like the fact that what is in the cave was said to be worse than death. And what it is is an eternity of being magic smoke.

Edit:

I think it's funny how people want it so badly to be science. Even coming up with reasons to try explain why it's science because 'it can't be magic'. Why can't it be magic? It's not a real show. It deals with time travel, immortality, and dual timelines.

I think it would be funny if what the writers wanted to do wasn't the reaction in the show, but the reaction to the show. Meaning that some people will be okay with magic, and take it on faith (Locke), and some people will have to try find a deeper, more serious meaning to everything (Jack).
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.