View Single Post

Re: Occupy Wallstreet
Old 10-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:
Default Re: Occupy Wallstreet

Well... it's certainly an interesting movement, but without point or purpose, I don't see it going far. There have been comparisons to the tea party, but I doubt it will have a similar political impact.

From what I can surmise, the protesters are angry about increasing income equality - to that, I would say two things.

1. It's true:

(CBO)

Recently (as in yesterday or today) CBO estimates do indicate the richest 1% have seen their income increase exponentially more than any other income tier. Why? Hard to say. I have a theory that if you take out the richest 1% of that 1%, the increase would dramatically decline (i.e. the rapid increase is due to a select few high-earners).

2. Everyone is better off than in the past:

(From a study done by two profs from Notre Dame & U Chicago)

3. Would taxing the richest 1% on the first chart at a higher marginal rate have any effect on the second chart? I really doubt it. There's a disconnect between these two issues, but because of politics, they're intertwined.

Anyway, I think the Occupy Wallstreet movement should be attacking cronyism - an issue liberals and conservatives could possibly agree upon.