View Single Post

Re: Michele Bachmann made me think [Mostly in rage]
Old 01-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: Michele Bachmann made me think [Mostly in rage]

Quote:
Typhoid, it sounds like you don't like the evangelical part of the Republican party -- don't worry, no one like that part of the party except for evangelical Republicans.
I agree.

Like I said, i was just raging over those few individuals, not the whole.

Quote:
If you want to discuss specific policy, then I'm all for it, but these broad statements are just tired.
I'd love if more Politicians in general started talking more about specific policy, and less about who they are, how their campaign is doing, what they did, what religion they are, and who they're going to bash this week. I'd especially love if the media - in general, and on a broader scale - actually gave a shit about policy, rather than their own ratings. That means they'll always focus more on someone who is controversial, over than someone who has a good idea to better the country - Those speeches are usually boring, and they don't sell papers or airtime. But Herman Cain having __ chicks coming out saying he sexually harassed them or whatever? You better believe that got him coverage. I'm starting to think the best way to get the popular vote is to do a bunch of fucked up shit before you run for President, then the media will have constant coverage of all the fucked up shit you did, and never give airtime to your opponents, thusly always putting your name on the tip of America's tongue. Brilliant.

Quote:
I do think your comments about not hearing Republican ideas about education, taxes, healthcare expose two challenges of most legitimate republican ideas: They don't fit in soundbites, and the media is biased toward simple soundbites and sensationalism, and no longer wishes to engage in complex ideas. Explaining the Republican ideology in regard to eduction is a long conversation, an doesn't fit well in today's short attention span society. I could literally write paragraphs (and I think I have), but if the media only produces headlines like "Republicans want to eliminate the department of education!" it's difficult to get the message out. The same goes for healthcare.
Tangent warning: I agree that the attention span of Joe Q Ipad is one of the worst tragedies of the 21st century. Nobody knows the meaning of "hold on", or "One moment please". People get so incredulously mad when they get put on hold, or get stopped at a red light. People hate waiting through commercials so much they invented a device to ultimately make them obsolete, or maybe we just wanted to watch our 55 minute show in 42 minutes. Those 13 minutes add up! Who has time to relax, so many shows to watch! We hate how long it takes to cook food, so we invented the microwave. We've spent 40 years improving technology - making everything more convenient to get to the glorious point we're at today - and all we've done is create generations of people who don't have the proper attention span to properly pick a leader for their own country. This paragraph is all legitimate, and not some type of tongue in cheek joke. I think it's a tragedy how impatient people are these days, and how negatively it affects all politics because of it. (I mean fuck, I cringe at the thought of how many people are only going [or would, if it was a site with a bunch of teenagers] to scan this paragraph because it would "take too much time to read".) Give me a news channel that focuses on a positive 2-day story. I don't want a 35 second clip about an Earthquake that decimated an orphanage, how the fuck will that knowledge improve my life, or help the people around me.

Quote:
I will say that I am a Republican that is not a supporter of Bachman or Santorum, for many of the reasons you mention, and I am obviously not alone. Hell, I've basically called Santorum a scumbag because I've listened closely to him for a long time. He, and perhaps Bachman, are theocrats who want to tell people how they have to live their lives because people are too stupid to do it themselves. Conversely, I think those to the far left want to do the same thing but in a different way.
That is why I wasn't directing anything at you. I know you're not an extreme Republican to the degree they are. Like I said, I vastly dislike extremism. Maybe that's a little ironic, but whatever. Extremism typically comes with extremely closed minds, and that never helps anyone.

I just hate those fucking scrotebags, and hate the fact they A) Get attention and B) Get such seemingly odd numbers of support for the fucked up shit they say.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.