Re: BP Oil Spill
Old 06-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #36
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: BP Oil Spill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylflon View Post
It's just frustrating to hear, especially from people like you who I believe to be people of reason (though we seldom see eye to eye), that the best thing to do is nothing. We pay our dues and get back to business in the interest of people not having to switch careers. It's this kind of pro status quo attitude that I feel gets us into trouble a lot as a species but specifically as North Americans.
At what point did I say we need to do nothing? I said we shouldn't shut down EVERYONE who drills because BP screwed the pooch. Consequences should affect those who created the disaster, not those who follow the rules.

You want to blame Oil with a capital "O" for the mistakes and negligence of a small group of people. I want the people who acted negligently to pay, and then have everyone in the industry learn from their negligence and mistakes.

Quote:
I bet even if the disaster was twice as bad as it already is, no more would get done than is getting done now. We can't even regulate this shit anymore. I suppose what we need to happen is have Obama say that we're off oil within the next five years and sink some of that military budget into alternate energy.
1) The oil industry is heavily regulated, and as I pointed out before the regulation may have created the environment for this disaster to take place

2) Despite media opinion, Pres. Obama is not magic. He can not nod his head and take the world off of oil. Besides, Government intervention has proven to be the least timely of all when it comes to innovation. We need to create a environment where industry can see great and immediate rewards for investing in realistic alternative energy. Even if someone discovers the world's most perfect clean and safe energy source tomorrow, it will take 10-20
years to switch over to this new fuel.

Quote:
I haven't read the thread thoroughly yet, so you might have a sweet argument or your argument may be "we need to be slightly more careful". Either way, I doubt it will be enough for me to stop being wildly upset over this whole catastrophe and in need of some action to be taken that limits what oil barons are allowed to do.
I agree that action needs to be taken, but sensible action. Action that fixes the problems we're facing and just doesn't create more problems through unintended consequences.

While I understand you are emotional, emotion is not a basis for reform, and it is the opposite of reason.