View Single Post

Re: BP Oil Spill
Old 06-20-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: BP Oil Spill

I'll start by saying this:

What has happened is terrible. It's a mistake we as people have made, and clearly should not have made. There should have been things in place to prevent this from happening.

However, oil leaks into the ocean constantly, naturally. It always has, and it always will. At large volumes, I might add. The ocean is massive. To even try contemplate the size of all of the water in the oceans combined is nearly impossible.

In the long run, everything will be 100% okay. Entirely, and completely.

In the short run, animals in the local area will die, and plant life will suffer. That is the risk of oil drilling. This is a known risk, and this is an accepted risk, or else oil drilling would not occur. If you play with fire, you will get burned, eventually.

I think the spill should obviously stop. Really, there is no way to safely do it, though. The pressure inside of the deposit spilling out into the water is massive, and I'd honestly be impressed if they manage to 'plug' it in any way. Hell, even if they can 'contain' it, I'll be impressed.

I do think the cost, and fault should lie 100% with BP. They were the company who owned it, it's their line, it's their oil, it's their fault. Simple.

But I do think that this oil leak will go on for a long time. I do hope I'm wrong, because it would be a horrible waste of oil, however.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.