View Single Post

Re: North Carolina Votes to make gay marriage unconstituational
Old 05-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears
Default Re: North Carolina Votes to make gay marriage unconstituational

The reason things are still done at the state level is because it would be enormously inefficient for the federal government to handle them, like building roads, or schools or managing local law enforcement.

I believe the California pot thing had to do with them creating a state law that violates an existing federal law. There's no existing federal law saying gay marriage is legal. But there should be - that's my point.

The supreme court can still fix this if they decide it's unconstitutional to make gay marriage illegal, which it is.

And my point was that no one should be voting on this. A persons civil rights should not be up for vote. The supreme court needs to up and say states can't do this, and a law should be passed making gay marriage legal nationwide.

States here are not a nation unto themselves. Federal laws and rulings trump state laws and rulings every time. If a state gets out of line, which in my opinion they have, the federal government can knock them back into place. It's happened before, and it can and will happen again.