Re: Thor
Old 06-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears
Default Re: Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
I have that feeling, too. Of all the Marvel characters, this was always going to be the hardest sell. Superheroes are one thing, but now we're mixing in theology, associated dimensions, and "gods" into the mix. Making it all suspend disbelief is going to be very difficult.

Another worry is that Marvel has had trouble creating compelling movie translations for their super-powerful characters, namely The Hulk. I understand Marvel needs someone to stand up to The Hulk (Thor), but the farther movie storytelling gets from relatable human characters, the more it suffers.
I thought that the last Hulk movie was really good. Anyone who reads Hulk comics really want to see one thing - Hulk pulverizing everything. And he is actually a pretty relatable character - the loneliness of Banner and the anger of Hulk are very human emotions.

Then again Hulk is my favorite comic.

I think that a Thor movie would be possible to pull off, but not if it follows the same tune that the teaser did after Iron Man 2. I feel like it would be much more successful if they took a hint from American Gods and made the mythology part of it and turned the movie more into an urban fantasy, with a sort of American subculture revolving around it.