View Single Post

Re: New Watchmen Trailer
Old 03-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #73
Thespis721
Duke

Now Playing: Ninja Gaiden 2
Default Re: New Watchmen Trailer

I saw the Watchmen movie, and, I don't know. I'm seeing it again because a friend has no one to go with, but I'm not sure if I liked it all that much. I felt it was a really great tribute movie, but as a film, I think it may fall flat.

I agree with BaB's point of losing humanity in the end. While I'm fine with the bomb instead of the squid, I think the handling of the ending was very displaced as if these choices were just drawn out. Veidt had as much humanity as Dr. Manhattan and I think that is wrong.

My major complaint, when it came down to it, is that comics and movies are different mediums and DIRECTLY translating one to the other is almost disrespectful for the forms. Godfather and Lord of the Rings were amazing books, however, they were also amazing movies because the director realized that they weren't making a motion comic, they were making a movie and made intelligent changes to make that amazing movie. But I don't think Snyder has that kind of directorial intelligence. Personally. And I liked 300 and Dawn of the Dead.

Finally, I disagree with the point that there could not be a better Watchmen translation. There are a lot of things in the movie that could have been fixed (like more focus on character work and having the actors make active choices). I'm not going to bitch about them till the "cows come home" but I refuse to believe that ANYTHING is the epitome of perfection.