Re: Ebert gives Sex and the City 2 a verbal ass whoopin'
Old 05-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Re: Ebert gives Sex and the City 2 a verbal ass whoopin'

http://www.movieline.com/2010/05/the...the-city-2.php

Quote:
1. “SATC2 takes everything that I hold dear as a woman and as a human — working hard, contributing to society, not being an entitled cunt like it’s my job — and rapes it to death with a stiletto that costs more than my car. It is 146 minutes long, which means that I entered the theater in the bloom of youth and emerged with a family of field mice living in my long, white mustache. This is an entirely inappropriate length for what is essentially a home video of gay men playing with giant Barbie dolls.” — Lindy West, The Stranger
http://www.hollywood.com/news/Sexism...e_City/6875338

Quote:
In the new film Sex and the City 2, heroine Carrie Bradshaw suffers a crippling blow to her ego as she discovers her brand new book – a book about married life and wedding vows – is utterly destroyed by a review in the New Yorker. Distraught, she turns to her three best friends and over drinks it is decided that the reviewer, a man, simply cannot stand the thought of a powerful, liberated woman. Problem solved. No, really. That’s the last we hear of that subplot. It is actually the first of three subplots (out of five total) that are resolved this way in the new film. Men are sexist pigs that are the root of all of our problems. Drink up ladies!

Now, on the surface, I’m fine with this. While it's a terribly unsatisfying way to wrap up a subplot (as well as ultimately serving nothing but reinforcing negative stereotypes), a movie can and will say what it wants. And it’s not like there aren’t actually sexists out there that are, in fact, threatened by powerful, liberated women. Sex and the City brings that ugliness out in droves, filling comment sections with 10-year-old South Park jokes about the age of the women and their appearance. But at the same time, the series (and others like it, like Twilight) also brings out an ugly spate of misandry, as male critics, like myself, are deluged with hate mail, comments and rampant, misdirected sexism stemming from negative reviews of female-tooled entertainment.

Forget, for a moment, that the language in said reviews is exactly the same as that used in reviews of such male-driven lowest common denominator fare as Transformers 2, Tomb Raider or 10,000 B.C., because these commenters often do, even falsely accusing us of defending such insipid fare in order to support and justify their own sexist viewpoints. Even if it wasn’t, how can one justify the sexism inherent in the responses?

The 5-star Amazon reviews for the movie are fucking hilarious too. And even though I have just completed my Minor in Gender and Women's Studies, I'm still a crass son of a bitch so enjoy:

http://sarahjessicaparkerlookslikeahorse.com/