Re: No mohammed discussion?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #22
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: No mohammed discussion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
You do realize you are defending a religion based on a deity with no factual evidence to back it up? There is no proof, none, nada, zilch proving the existence of Allah. More so, the Jury is still up on whether Jesus existed and I assume the same goes for Mohammad.

If I started a religion believing in magical unicorns and told you not to draw pictures of them, you would feel obligated to respect my wishes?

There's no proof of a God, either - and I'd defend that in this situation.
I'm not saying there is proof of Allah; therefore we're not allowed to make fun of Mohammad.

I'm saying 1.something billion people believe in the existence of Allah, and the Prophet Mohammad. Even more so there are extremists within that religion who take the depiction of Mohammad (much like it says in their religious scriptures) very seriously.

Religion has transcended proof, facts, and actual people existing. As long as enough people believe in it, it's real for them - and that's all that matters.

And just because Christianity, North America and the UK are alright with Buddy Christ, and putting Jesus on everything from a shirt to a sock to an apron, that doesn't mean every religion does.
When's the last time you saw a Buddha bobblehead giving someone a high five? (I'd love to see that, for the record).

The reason I'm defending Islam, is because A) Many, many people unjustly talk shit about it B) I believe in not insulting other people, nor their religions blatently. The problem here isn't Islam. Nor is the problem Muslims in general. The problem is the extremists. The Muslim equivalent of: Southerners when it comes to blacks, old Catholic ladies when it comes to Catholicism and Zealots.

Having Mohammad on South Park is alright. He's been on before. There was no uproar. He was just a dude.

But having Mohammad in a Bear Costume with a blue jersey that says "Bears" on it - you have to tell me that that wouldn't be a little blasphemous to someone who has no humour when it comes to his or her religion.

Also, "I don't think it's real" is pointless in this conversation. Why you'd say it is ridiculous.

Edit to your edit:

Quote:
If I started a religion believing in magical unicorns and told you not to draw pictures of them, you would feel obligated to respect my wishes? In fact, I'm starting a new religion called KillerGremlinism. I don't approve of depictions of Monkeys, because the great Gremlin Monkey Prophet is timeless. Therefore you need to remove your avatar from this forum because it falsely portrays my prophet. Also, if you don't change your avatar I'm flying a plane into your house!
If you had a thousands of year old text depicting those magical unicorns spreading positive messages, and had billions of followers (maybe even if you had millions) - yes, I'd respect that. But since you're just some dude over the internet in the middle of what I assume to be the United States who wants to slag on Islam because a cartoon can't make fun of someone's religion and you just started caring about this situation a few days ago when you saw it on the internet, no - I wouldn't respect your religion.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.