Re: North Carolina Votes to make gay marriage unconstituational
Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: North Carolina Votes to make gay marriage unconstituational

Quote:
This is why gay marriage shouldn't be left up to the states
I suppose that's part of the problem when you try to found a country on the idea that the states can still hold more power than those that run the states as a whole.

Wait, question though:

[I haven't done prodding, or any fact-things. I just think it has the potential for comedy from the top of my head, but I might be remembering like an idiot.]

So when California legalized pot, didn't your country-wide-government sort of step in and say "Hey, wait a minute. You can't vote on that shit. We're one country, here. Not 50 individual states. Pot is still illegal. You can't just change things like that. We're going to undo that law."

But when North Carolina makes gay marriage unconstitutional it's "Hey, they're allowed to if they vote for it. It's their state. We're 50 individual states, not 1 united country. They're totally allowed to change things like that. We can't undo that law."

I know one is drugs and the other is a dick in a butt - but I still find it humorous.

Quote:
The rights of a minority group should -never- be voted upon by the majority. It makes no sense, and it isn't fair.
While I definitely agree with the how-fucking-unfair-that-is aspect, there isn't really any other way to hold a vote. You can't just let those people affected vote - because then everything would pass 100% of the time, unless you get some really confused people.
The problem is when those people are bigots or racists - Then they become the majority, which only makes the area more like that - because everyone negatively effected will move away, or die or something.

The ignorance that disgusts me with things like that is there are some who vote for things like that simply because they don't want it taking place in their area. "I don't hate gays/muslims. I just don't want to see fags/a mosque near my children, (because I'm afraid to let my child be influenced by anyone other than me and people like me)."

On the one hand that state is doing exactly what it's allowed to do. Make it's own laws. You're the United States of America. Not the United Country of America. While I agree that it's dumb, retarded and all of that - the only thing that will curb something like this happening is if you throw out the fact states are essentially allowed to be their own little nations in one Union, and form an "actual" country with unified civil rights that can't be overturned by states if the people of that state hold a vote.

I just mean for the sake of "rights" and all that; equality. Marriage is something that should be country-wide, and sexually-ambiguous.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.