Re: Iowa Republican Debate
Old 09-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
thatmariolover
GameTavern Plumber

Now Playing:
Default Re: Iowa Republican Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
I know I'll be watching. I have three players from Green Bay on various fantasy teams.

The address to a joint session of congress is absurd, and knowing Pres. Obama's track record, there is only one reason: To cast blame on the opposition while they are sitting there and can't say anything. He has done this so many times in three years.

Why does this have to be addressed to a joint session? Why can't a plan be produced prior to the speech? Why has it taken two years for another plan to come out after the first one failed? Is anyone still listening? (we'll know with the ratings)

And most importantly: WHY DO POLITICIANS CONTINUE TO PRETEND THAT THEY CAN CREATE JOBS????
You're right, I'm sure he will try to shame the Republicans because he always does. But they've fillibustered just about every significant piece of legislation he's tried to pass - even when they had outstanding support with the general public. So why wouldn't you, when you know you're going to have a supportive audience?

I'm frustrated with Obama, but he at least gives the impression that he's trying. The American public is starved for effective politicians that have the nations interests at heart vs. their own. Obama is fantastic at publicizing himself when his interests coincide with those of popular opinion and keeping his head down when they don't. But like all politicians, he doesn't care what we want or think is right - except to further his own undisclosed goals.

But really, many of the things he's instituted have had (preliminarily) positive results. It might be a bit early, but S&P reported just two weeks ago that Medicare spending has slowed down considerably (lowest growth rate in 6 years), aside from that cancer rates are down and many people who couldn't get health insurance now can. Working in a clinic, we're definitely noticing a positive shift with all of the preventative health services we're now required to offer.

I guess what I hear is a lot of complaining without any solutions or suggestions. What do you think the president should be doing? What would/could conservatives do better?

My bigger question, though, is what Republicans are bringing to the table aside from more corporate tax breaks, easier ways of donating to politicians anonymously, and lowering the minimum wage? Or how about the general lack of understanding or willingness to accept scientifically proven ideologies?

I realize not all Republicans fall into this stereotype, but the party just feels deeply steeped in controversy and self-serving politics and I have a very hard time taking them seriously. I'm not saying I'm impressed with Democrats. If it were up to me, we'd revamp our Government and make serious improvements to the voting system. But how do we make the most with the people we have?