View Single Post

Re: Occupy Wallstreet
Old 11-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #30
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12
Default Re: Occupy Wallstreet

Regardless of whether or not anyone is concerned about the classification of the outdoor spaces currently or previously being occupied, I was more concerned with the violent dispersing of protesters rather than the fact that they were being dispersed. (And I was also perturbed by the news that NYC police would deny access to an area of the city unless you had corporate documentation proving that you work on wall street.)

Acts like taking billy clubs to the stomachs of Berkley students or indiscriminately pepper spraying crowds in Seattle show that the police is more about protecting corporate interests than protecting the first amendment rights of the citizens they're supposedly sworn to protect.

I view this movement as a positive thing. People like to complain that they don't have a concise objective, but reaching consensus among a giant and diverse group of people is never going to be a simple task. The movement is the first step in a process that would hopefully lead to some kind of change. The movement can't create a new system for society or anything, but at least people are voicing the fact that they're not happy. And if nobody stands up and does this, the conversation in the political realm will never change.

However, violently breaking up demonstrations is only going to cause things to escalate in a very negative way.