Re: Final Fantasy Megathread
Old 04-09-2010, 02:12 AM   #49
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:
Default Re: Final Fantasy Megathread

Quote:
Originally Posted by magus113 View Post
Just out of curiosity it seems like you have so much time to dedicate to this...how?!

Funds have been pretty low, so my wife and I haven't really been able to go out and do a whole lot lately. We usually just veg around at the apartment when I'm not working and she's not at school. I'm either playing a game (which is, of course, been Final Fantasy lately) and she's either doing homework or procrastinating on her homework and playing a game. Sometimes we watch a movie.

Hopefully in the next couple of months we'll be moved and settled and I'll have less excuses to stay home and do nothing. Although, it really only took me about 22 hours to beat FFII which really isn't that much, relatively.

Oh, yeah, I just finished. Beat the Emperor in just one hit. I was crazy over-powered. Ultimately, even though the game is completely broken on multiple levels there is still fun to be had. It was kind of cool not having to worry about, you know, dying or anything like that. I just sort of breezed through the game. Since everything I've read suggests that not being overpowered causes the game to be uber frustrating and not fun at all I don't really mind the lack of a challenge.

Also, except for the initial training hump at the beginning (about 4 or 5 hours total) it wasn't that difficult maintaining my advantage.

One thing I noticed about II which I wasn't expecting was actually how much more it felt like a Final Fantasy game over I. Mostly everything you hear about II is regarding the awful "levelling" system and how its broken and unbalanced. The general expectation is that the game is nothing like other Final Fantasy games, but I think its really the opposite. If it wasn't for the Black and White Mages there's really nothing in I that reminds you you're playing an FF game. II, however, has a story that fits in well with the rest of the series, chocobos, Cid, dragoons, an ambiguously evil/good guy, etc. Almost everything that really defines Final Fantasy (at least through to IX) really came from II.

The story, also, is pretty hardcore as far as things go. This most certainly has the highest body count of real characters of any core FF and really paints a bleak picture. I mean, you kill the main bad guy only for him to conquer and break out of hell and unleash it upon the earth. Sephiroth can't claim that. The only real issue with the story is presentation which is expected since it was an NES title originally. If SE ever thought to themselves "We should totally remake Final Fantasy II with and expanded story, better developed characters, and a completely rebuilt from scratch game design!" I would totally buy it. I don't know. I just see a lot of fluffy awesome potential in II's story.

Anyway, that's it for me on FFII. If anyone (magus) is still playing II, feel free to go at your own pace. Same thing if anyone is on I (I want progress updates on your thief run, TSM!). I'll be moving on to III soon. I think there were some people waiting for III (?), so maybe we'll get some more company soon.

Current Review: Xenogears