Thread: Free will
View Single Post

Old 01-27-2002, 10:24 AM   #9
gekko
Knight

Now Playing:

Well I spent all of last semester sitting through a class discussing just that. If you want the brief explanation, there have been books written on how everyone we have on death row has phychological problems. It all gets traced back to their childhood. The children who were sexually or physically abused grow up and do the same things to others. If your father beat your mother, or your father left the family, they grow up with a hatred towards men, and in many cases, proceed to murder them. Basically, they grow up truly believing in something, and it may be wrong, be they can't help it at that point.

Furthermore, many things that are happening today can be explained by science, but we just don't have the answer yet. We were watching a documentary on the true story of the exorcist. About the little boy who became possessed, and well, it eventually became a hollywood film. The priests involved told their stories about how whenever he entered the room, it would become extremely cold. He made the bed move up and down. He threw things across the room. They were even able to talk to the spirit that possessed him, and ask him questions. "Where did you come from?" And little red warts appeared on his chest and spelled out "HELL." Freaky, huh? My morality teacher actually witnessed an exorcism in Africa, and he said the room actually does get very cold the minute they enter. And I don't know how you can fake that, being in Africa of all places. They actually bring a thermometer inside the room, and the second the possessed person enters it drops instantly, and dramtically. But you know what they said when we were all done with this? This might be something science is able to explain, and we just haven't discovered it yet.

When electricity was discovered, they didn't really know what electricity was. I think human behavior is one of those things. Everything happens for a reason, but it'll be a long time before we know the reason.

And the other thing we learned in class, politicians are idiots:

Abortion is legal in this country, but if you kill a pregnant lady in a car crash it's double murder.